Friday, October 10, 2014

Breakfast Served Anytime by Sarah Combs

A coming-of-age debut evokes the bittersweet joys and pangs of finding independence in one unforgettable summer away at "geek camp."

When Gloria sets out to spend the summer before her senior year at a camp for gifted and talented students, she doesn’t know quite what to expect. Fresh from the heartache of losing her grandmother and missing her best friend, Gloria resolves to make the best of her new circumstances. But some things are proving to be more challenging than she expected. Like the series of mysterious clues left by a certain Professor X before he even shows up to teach his class, Secrets of the Written Word. Or the very sweet, but very conservative, roommate whose coal-industry family champions mountaintop removal. Not to mention the obnoxious Mason, who dresses like the Mad Hatter and immediately gets on Gloria’s nerves — but somehow won’t escape her thoughts.

Beautifully told by debut author Sarah Combs, this honest and touching story of growing up is imbued with the serene atmosphere of Kentucky’s natural landscape.
This book called to the deep seated teenaged part of me. I enjoy reading my way through the paths of life. I adore coming of age stories that truly capture the true essence of growing up. This one does that but it fell a little short.

Breakfast Served Anytime, is about a teenaged girl named Gloria, who is awarded the opportunity to participate in a geek camp of sorts. She is also dealing with the lost of her grandmother as well as the pressuring realities of college, and the approach of adulthood.

While the concept itself was pretty interesting and promised a laze but good trip--it left me wanting but for what I'm not exactly sure. More conflict? More romance? More something?

The characters were intriguing and kept me reading but they never fully developed. They never really progressed. They never faced any conflict. They never faced anything accept for the understanding of their own lives. It didn't make for exciting reading. It was like a smooth ride on the lake but without any wind or slight movement on the water. 

I will say although, Mason the obnoxious "Mad Hatter" whom had little to say was for me the most powerful characters. He had very few lines but they were poignant and strong. I pretty much fell for him. His ways were abhorrent at least to Gloria but I found his loathsome clothing and better than thou speak intriguing and romantic. There was romance but very little of it and not much else. 

Breakfast Served Anytime although enjoyable and spot on for coming of age didn't thrill me in the way I had expected and didn't do much for me. I'm giving it a solid three stars for writing and solid characters.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm…the synopsis of this book really piqued my interest, but after reading your review, I may have to pass on it. With contemporaries, I usually like more romance. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I dislike when characters don't really grow in a book. They must do so when we're talking about a coming of age book. And conflict too, I need that as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a bummer this one didn't live up to its potential. I have a hard time getting through any book that lacks in conflict and romance. Glad there were some upsides but I think I'm going to pass on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww man, it sucks that this wasn't as good as it was supposed to be :(
    But three stars for writing and characters? Makes me really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete