Monday, September 1, 2014

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart Book Review

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18339662-we-were-liars

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.
I'm going to come right out and say it, so that it's out of the way. I was not blown away by this book. I hate to say it. I wanted to be apart of the crowd this time, I really did. Once again I'll stand alone.

We were liars is written brilliantly. Quite honestly I don't suppose anyone besides Lockhart could have written this book but I just didn't have the intended feelings. A large part of it may due to the fact that so many people were recommending and ranting and raving about this book. Lie about the ending, it tore me up, it gave me all the feels were amongst some of what I heard about this book--had I not been so underwhelmed by the end of the novel I may have felt the same--might.

There were clues, small, and indirect clues that gave me a general idea of what might occur by the end. It still caught me by surprise but I had a clue--an idea. That small inkling took away the surprise.

I don't want to deter anyone from reading this book because as I'm writing the review it sounds more and more like I didn't really enjoy it but I did--just not nearly as much as I thought I would.

I almost felt like I endured reading the first 90% of the book because I just could not wait to get to the end because I just had to know what was going to happen.

All in all it was a good book, one that I enjoyed but, also one that left me feeling slightly underwhelmed.

If you haven't read this book do try to limit the amount of reviews you read, and just go in with your eyes closed. It's better to jump in without all of these preconceived notions. You don't need to know anything about how it ends. The title is clue enough.

5 comments:

  1. Don't worry, you don't stand alone on this one! I didn't like the book at all. It was really boring, the characters were hardly developed, and the shocking ending wasn't enough to impress me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I'm one of the few people who really did not see the ending coming. Just the shock factor alone for me bumped my rating from 3 to 4 stars. I wasn't in love with the characters until the end was I realized exactly what had happened but I loved the writing style. I think this is definitely a book that would be best without hearing all the hype around it beforehand. All the praise makes it easy to put this book onto a pedestal. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So behind on this one. Haven't even put it on hold in the library even though I get the feeling I'm going to love it :) Love your honesty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be reading this one soon because it's a book club book and we're meeting on Sept 17th. A lot of rave reviews, but a lot of meh ones as well. There has been a lot of hype, so it's hard not to be underwhelmed. Sorry you didn't love it! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete