Friday, September 26, 2014

The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu Book Review

Everyone knows Alice slept with two guys at one party.

But did you know Alice was sexting Brandon when he crashed his car?

It's true. Ask ANYBODY.

Rumor has it that Alice Franklin is a slut. It's written all over the bathroom stall at Healy High for everyone to see. And after star quarterback Brandon Fitzsimmons dies in a car accident, the rumors start to spiral out of control.

In this remarkable debut novel, four Healy High students—the girl who has the infamous party, the car accident survivor, the former best friend, and the boy next door—tell all they know.

But exactly what is the truth about Alice? In the end there's only one person to ask: Alice herself.
 I sort of feel like I don't know what I feel about this book....YEAH. 

Let me talk about what I enjoyed. I really liked the multiple POV's. They were distinct, meaningful and well written. Every single character had a story that was both realistic and easy to follow. This is sometimes hard to do because it's easy to lose the readability when you place more than one point of view in a story. This novel has about four or five and I surprisingly never lost connection with any of the characters.

Did I like all the characters? Not particularly, but I appreciated how real they were, and I was able to understand their stories, as separate entities. It was actually very unique the way the author chose to tell the story, and I enjoyed it's uniqueness. It was very easy to get into.

BUT, here's the thing I didn't really feel anything, aside from the one character I really liked. It just felt like I reached a plateau early on in the story. Nothing really surprised me, so that could be one reason why I didn't feel strongly moved.

I just felt like okay that was good but nothing really else. I don't feel like it's something I'm going to be thinking about for long. Maybe I haven't been in high school recently enough, and I don't know how to relate, completely. 

I don't know but that was the one thing I found lacking, at least for me, with this story. I didn't have the emotional investment or connection.

BUT, if you're looking for a story that has a unique plot, and relatable characters this book is for you. It has a great blend of grit, and reality. Perfect for high school students and beyond.

8 comments:

  1. It was a good book. For me, I felt it should've been a bit longer. I really wanted more of Alices POV. But other than that, it didn't disappoint. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i couldn't really get into the book either :/ good review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I've been seeing a lot of this book everywhere and there's been a lot of mixed reactions. I hate it when I don't connect with the characters - I love feeling what they're feeling and, heartbreak from a good book isn't always a bad thing! I'll have to check this out though - the cover just draws me to it!
    Kristen @OCA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, it sounds like a slow read to me. Just people telling what they know or their side of the story just doesn't seem that interesting. But maybe I'm proved wrong and I do love the cover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this one, it was definitely different....But I think that it is an important book for people to read.

    Em @ http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like this was more of a 'teaching a lesson' type of book. I think it's important because it helps so many people be more aware, but sometimes books like that fall flat if you're not one who needed that lesson to begin with, if that makes sense.

    I think I liked this one more than you, but I did expect a little more from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually liked this book, I thought it was well done and unique and especially the fact that everyone's POV was given except for Alice's. The characters were so well-developed that even when I disliked them for being hypocritical and mean, I could still understand them and why they did what they did (even Kelsie, who I wanted to smack in the face). My favorite perspective was Kurt's, and I loved how his friendship with Alice developed over the course of the book. Sorry this didn't work for you, but thanks for the honest review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete