Tuesday, September 23, 2014

#Scandal by Sarah Ockler Book Review

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17415348-scandal
Lucy’s learned some important lessons from tabloid darling Jayla Heart’s all-too-public blunders: Avoid the spotlight, don’t feed the Internet trolls, and keep your secrets secret. The policy has served Lucy well all through high school, so when her best friend Ellie gets sick before prom and begs her to step in as Cole’s date, she accepts with a smile, silencing about ten different reservations. Like the one where she’d rather stay home shredding online zombies. And the one where she hates playing dress-up. And especially the one where she’s been secretly in love with Cole since the dawn of time.

When Cole surprises her at the after party with a kiss under the stars, it’s everything Lucy has ever dreamed of… and the biggest BFF deal-breaker ever. Despite Cole’s lingering sweetness, Lucy knows they’ll have to ’fess up to Ellie. But before they get the chance, Lucy’s own Facebook profile mysteriously explodes with compromising pics of her and Cole, along with tons of other students’ party indiscretions. Tagged. Liked. And furiously viral.

By Monday morning, Lucy’s been branded a slut, a backstabber, and a narc, mired in a tabloid-worthy scandal just weeks before graduation.

Lucy’s been battling undead masses online long enough to know there’s only one way to survive a disaster of this magnitude: Stand up and fight. Game plan? Uncover and expose the Facebook hacker, win back her best friend’s trust, and graduate with a clean slate.

There’s just one snag—Cole. Turns out Lucy’s not the only one who’s been harboring unrequited love...
This is my very first Sarah Ockler novel. I don't know why I felt the need to note that but, yeah. I've always wanted to read her books. I'm glad I decided to start with this one.

I feel like such a dunce because I honestly did notice the little notations near the bubbles over the two characters over the front cover. So, when I did read it. I was excited to see where the story would go.

I honestly really enjoyed this one. Not, because it was particularly page-turning or even super exciting. It was what it was. Honest, realistic, and clever.

The characters really draw you in. That's what made this a great novel, because you can totally relate to it's characters. There was something endearing about each of them and the MC, was a total bad a$$ with a slightly soft side, and I loved it!

The only downside is it reads a little slow. So, unless you feel invested in the story there's a small chance you might get bored. I don't want to deter anyone from reading this because it's a great book but I felt the need to forewarn you (readers).

I would have loved a little bit more romance because every little moment I got left me wanting for more. I get that the story wasn't solely about that, but, I don't have to like it. ;)

All in all I was pleased and I felt enticed to read more of Ockler's works. I love the clever way she writes and how fluid it all is. I can't wait to read more!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds good actually, I'd like to read it myself

    www.internetlyaddicted.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read Ockler's Book of Broken Hearts, but I really enjoyed it so I should read this one too. I probably will have the same complaint you had about needing more romance (I like my contemporaries to have a lot of romance). Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot about Sarah Ockler- can't wait to try a book of hers! This story sounds great, thanks for sharing!
    Esty @ Boarding with Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have been a bit iffy about reading this one but now that I kind of know what it's about, I want to know more.
    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. now this sounds like a YA contemporary I'd like to read. I never really cared about this one until now (probably because of that title and cover). Nice review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked #scandal and it's also my first Sarah Ockler novel, heard her other books rock too. This one is more invested on the "mystery" side but I get your feelings about the romance, I wanted more! Did you manage to guess soon who was the person that brought on all the scandal? I did not :( I was almost at the ending when I realized it. Face-palmed myself several times, lol. So obvious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of surprised because I had an idea but I wasn't sure. So, you're not alone!

      Delete
  7. I'll look forward to reading this too! I'm sort of worried about the "slow" part though. You know how I am with slow books right? LOL.

    Great review Jazmen! :)

    ReplyDelete