Thursday, September 4, 2014

Bullying, Authors, and Unadulterated Rudeness

So this status was posted by an author this week. ----->

I need to post this picture so that I can make a point, however pointless or unfocused it may be. The purpose of this photo is not to bash, discredit, or bully this author in any way. It's just being used to make a point.

So, once this status hit Facebook, it was circulated faster than gossip is posted on TMZ. It was like a spreading wildfire.  Authors, readers, and bloggers alike, all had something to say about this, myself included. 

Here's my issue, I get it. I totally understand that relentless, and repetitive questions can be--for lack of a better word annoying, even frustrating. I get it you're a writer not an answer and question service but here's the thing--as someone who aspires to one day have a novel published I can only hope, dream, and pray for readers to want to read my book, and even more so, want, crave, another piece of my work.

That would feel like achievement. That would solidify everything I'm working for. It would be all of my dreams personified. That was the problem with this status. People felt like they were being disregarded in the rudest way possible by someone they admire.

That is never okay. Sure, you have better things to do. We all do. But is it really such a hardship on your life to take maybe ten minutes out of your writing time to possibly create a tweet,  facebook status, or blog post that will give your readers the latest information?--Book updates, schedules, etc.

I don't think at least I don't forget that authors are humans first. They are forgivable. But, for the love of Pete stay of social media with your bad days.

This kind of thing is ongoing. SOME authors are calling bloggers who have re-blogged, and re-posted this, haters, and bullies--accusing them of trying to reduce this author's sales or potential sales. Honestly, she didn't need any help with that. So I don't know how much of that is true.

There's always a way to be kinder about things but people are people. Some of us are nice, some of us aren't. That's the way life is.

The point is as a blogger I feel it is my job to make readers aware, whether it's a book I read or an author I met. I think that was mostly the intention when this was re-shared yesterday.

This author posted a status that has harmed her character, at least in the eyes of some (and me at least a little). I am more forgiving than most. I can (probably) look passed this. I might hesitate when picking up her book but I believe in second chances and forgiveness. It might take some time but I can certainly try.

I don't know what my point is exactly but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If someone decides to build a cross for her to burn on, well that's their issue. I'm not going to then create a hate page for them. If someone decides to stand behind her, cool! Good for you. That's your opinion. Let it be your own.

If you can find a way to be kinder about it then do that! But I will always be honest!

What do you think about this?

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I hadn't seen this until now and I am, frankly, appalled! My favorite authors (A.G. Howard, Catherine Coulter, Anne Rice) are all very fan-friendly and really great about communication. There's one author that I cannot seem to hear back from, but she just ignores people - at least she isn't rude. I've never heard of this author and, to be honest, I wouldn't read anything by her in a million years after seeing this. Thanks for making me aware!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have bit of an issue reading someone's work after something like this. I do admire your response though, not sure I would be so willing to give them another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read anything by this author and I don't think I ever will. I'm one of the more forgiving people but you know- I forgive but never forget. So thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huh. I didn't hear about this until now, and I have to agree with a lot of points you mentioned. It's really only a few seconds - hardly anything one should complain about unless it takes hours. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest, what she wrote is exactly what I think when I see people asking such basic questions. Is it so difficult to go to an author’s wiki page/goodreads/amazon/...? After all, that’s the big advantage of the internet, isn’t it? It only takes a few clicks to obtain this information, the other way round you’d have to wait days or weeks for a reply.
    In a way, I could compare it to when self-published authors send me review requests, claiming that they really like my blog — even though they’ve clearly not taken enough time to even read my review policy to see that I don’t accept self-published works. I imagine this could be similarly annoying as these questions. But the difference is that I just ignore it.

    Yes, by addressing this in this manner, the author does come across as iffy and a bit ungrateful – after all, she wouldn’t have any success without the readers’ support. And as she is not a well-known author, I can’t imagine the amount of questions that she gets could justify this “emotional outburst”.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first I've seen of that post. All I can say is WOW. Yes I understand it's annoying, but no matter what an individual is feeling he/she has a responsibility to be careful about what they post online - it never goes away...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this, and I am incredibly appalled by every single word!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  8. First time I see this too. I don't know the author and I'll probably forget her name soon but she did make a good slip with her fanbase. Some readers ask these kind of questions because they want to get replied by the author, to interact. Sadly, this backfired. I certainly won't hold a grudge against her because I don't feel attached, but I would have if I had loved her books. Authors should keep it cool at all times because they are our celebrities and we look up to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know this author and I hadn't heard about this before your post. I can understand her being annoyed, but she shouldn't have posted this. Funny how 276 people liked it. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any books by this author before and I haven't heard of this before reading this post but I agree with you 100%. This author shouldn't have lashed out like that to their readers but, in the end, she's human. She makes mistakes and she was probably having a bad day. I feel like this is one of those situations where the author is going to definitely have repercussions. But I can forgive her in end. I know when I'm having a bad day I can say things I don't really mean. Hopefully she's realized her mistake and apologizes for what she said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As an author who relies on the good image of herself for the promotion of her book, therefore more money, and therefore her livelihood, its inexcusable for her to be upset with the reactions she is getting. She posted a hostile, angry post and that is exactly the kind of reaction she's getting back

    ReplyDelete