Thursday, September 4, 2014

Anatomy of a Misfit by Andrea Portes--Long, sort of ranty Book Review


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20877218-anatomy-of-a-misfit
 
Fall’s buzzed-about, in-house favorite. Outside, Anika Dragomir is all lip gloss and blond hair—the third most popular girl in school. Inside, she’s a freak: a mix of dark thoughts, diabolical plots, and, if local chatter is to be believed, vampire DNA (after all, her father is Romanian). But she keeps it under wraps to maintain her social position. One step out of line and Becky Vilhauer, first most popular girl in school, will make her life hell. So when former loner Logan McDonough shows up one September hotter, smarter, and more mysterious than ever, Anika knows she can’t get involved. It would be insane to throw away her social safety for a nerd. So what if that nerd is now a black-leather-jacket-wearing dreamboat, and his loner status is clearly the result of his troubled home life? Who cares if the right girl could help him with all that, maybe even save him from it? Who needs him when Jared Kline, the bad boy every girl dreams of, is asking her on dates? Who?

Anatomy of a Misfit is Mean Girls meets The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and Anika’s hilariously deadpan delivery will appeal to readers for its honesty and depth. The so-sad-it’s-funny high school setting will pull readers in, but when the story’s dark foreboding gradually takes over, the devastating penultimate tragedy hits like a punch to the gut. Readers will ride the highs and lows alongside funny, flawed Anika—from laughter to tears, and everything in between.

Thanks to the publisher, and Edelweiss for this review copy.
 So here's the thing I have a funny sense of humor. I generally like the kind of humor that is sarcastic, dry, and directly relative to my life. So when I got through the first ten percent of the novel I was genuinely amused. I laughed out loud. 

Then it sort of started going down hill. The main character's best friend consistently refers to her as an immigrant. I'm not sure if this is an insult or a term of endearment. It's typically spoken in a negative connotation, so you be the judge. The MC is Romanian (don't quote me I can't seem to remember) which in her podunk town does makes her an immigrant, luckily for her only her "friends" know. This saves her from relentless ridicule and possible abuse.

Okay, fine. Introduce, best friend number two, Shelli. According to the MC, she is Christian and her mother is a bible-toting freak of nature, whose sole purpose on earth is to turn everyone else Christian and do extreme religious things, like burn her daughter's hair after a haircut because she doesn't want any one to cast spells on her daughter using locks of her hair.

Oh, and because she's Christian she probably doesn't believe in Mathematics. Here's the quote,
"Or maybe she can't add. She is a Christian. I don't think they believe in math." o_O


 I am not easily offended. I typically brush things off but I started to find the author's depiction of Christianity pretty offensive. I get it there are some Christians who are obnoxious and outright heavy handed when it comes to the way they deliver "the message", so to speak. BUT it seemed that at every point the author brought up Christianity it was to paint it in a negative light.

I couldn't care less what the author believes or doesn't believe in, her point was made more than once and quite frankly it started to grate on my nerves.

Then at about 75% in she believe in God. She just did. I'm just going to move on.

The "black girl--The MC works at a fast food joint with her BFF and they get a new hire, a black girl. *DUN DUN DUN* Our MC,  in attempts to be this "nice girl" invites said "black girl" over for dinner and before she gets there, she's called the n-word by the stepfather and consistently referred to as "the black girl" as if she's some rare unknown species (by the rest of her family), which she very well may be in this small-minded ignorant town. Oh and the girl's mother's a jerk and she doesn't have a father.--I'm not going to touch that.

I get that there are places in the world where there are very few races commingling so when there is someone who is say African-American, or maybe even Asian the townspeople don't know how to respond. But, give me a break, please?!

The first love interest--He's some happy days style, Fonzi, who sweeps into town post nerdom and rides around on a moped demanding you let him kiss you and like it.
He does tell the MC she's the most beautiful girl he's ever seen, but he's also says her best friend is a cunt. Someone please explain why I'm not swooning gagging and falling over?

I'm not going to discuss the second love interest because well, I'll just let you read that part for yourselves.

This is about the first 75 percent in and somehow, someway, the story is sort of saved. No, I can't believe it either.

The main character finally takes a stand and starts making sense, gather that she's fifteen, but after something tragic happens (which kind of made me sad<---Look emotions!) she realizes a lot of things. She realizes major things and they make her character change for the better and it rectified the story at least for me, at least partly.

See the thing is this, the story if you sum it up is okay. Yes, there are parts that I found offensive and racist, but maybe that's all due to ignorance. True, unfiltered ignorance and maybe I shouldn't blame them because they don't know any better. Maybe, I should chuck it up to being young and dumb. The jury is out on that one.

I don't know how the tolerance level is for anyone else who will read this, but be prepared. Be prepared for things you won't like. Be prepared to possibly DNF. Be prepared to hear the story of a girl who's world is so small she doesn't know much else besides what goes on around her. If you can have that kind of open mind you'll enjoy this novel, and you'll be looking at me like I'm too sensitive and maybe I am--but what I am for sure is honest.

So here's what I suggest borrow this one, so wherever you may fall, like, love, or hate. You won't have any regrets.


5 comments:

  1. Adding that to my reading list:)
    Thank you for the book review! I love how you add your own opinions in them.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this too, and though I'm not sure I could stomach the racism and insults, I feel like it was there because of ignorance. I don't think I'll read this though, tbh

    Thanks for the review Jazmen :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does make you wonder what the author's purpose was in including all of that. Was there a point? Did the MC learn something? If not, I can see being really annoyed by it, but if the MC grew, changed, evolved, etc. at least there was a point. Hmmm…not sure about this one. It wasn't on my TBR list and maybe it should just stay off of it. Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. Yeah, after reading this review, I'm going to be staying away from this book. I was iffy on it after reading the blurb and what you said just solidified that I most likely won't like this. I really can't stand when authors pick at a particular religion or race in their works, no matter what their beliefs are. I find it to be a bit overkill and offensive. From what I've heard so far, I also really won't be a fan of the love interests.

    Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete