Monday, August 18, 2014

Tore Divided Love by K.D. Ferguson Book Review


Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia
Publisher: Anchor Group Publishing
Published Date: June 6, 2014
Source: Author
Edition: eBook
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22285187-tore-divided-love?from_search=true

A future set in stone.

For eighteen year old Krissa Channing a government ruled pairing with Braiden Connor and a move to Headquarters were her set fate. Until Braiden's sudden disappearance threatens Krissa’s entire future.

After months of endless worry, Krissa has an unexpected meeting with Duke, a perfect suitor that could offer her the future she’s always dreamed of. Just when she begins to regain hope, Braiden returns.

Now, Krissa must find where her heart truly lies. Torn between two loves, she must decide which of their worlds she belongs in. But is such a decision even possible when the choice rests between freedom and love?


 After reading book one in the Tore (Torn?) series I have to say I was completely apprehensive to read book two. Book one absolutely infuriated me, well more so the main character, Krissa. She was wishy-washy and down right aggravating. I can't say she's changed much but she's definitely matured as a character.

In Tore Divided Love, the story of Krissa continues. Krissa who was living in the Sweeper unit (the place for the unpaired and resistant) until she meets, Duke. Duke offers Krissa everything she wants and then some. He wants what she wants, and it seems like a match made in heaven. That is until Braiden decides to return. This proceeds with a love triangle that spans the entirety of the book, at least for the most part.

Okay guys, fair warning if you don't like love triangles I'd recommend skipping this one because this truly is a tore divided love. 

In book one Krissa came off as weak, indecisive, immature. She has matured quite a bit in book two but she still has that torn between loving and hating Braiden thing going on. But as opposed to book one I wanted Krissa to wind up with Braiden. If only to have her stand for something bigger than herself. I know that common sense wise he's no good for her but, he brings out a fierceness in her she doesn't necessarily have on her own.

He also gets her to see outside of her narrow minded thinking and this is a good thing for Krissa's character. It allows her to become stronger, and wiser.  I think I liked that most about this book. Krissa is stronger. She's still a little weak but she's far stronger than she was previously.

That's not to say her indecisiveness between Braiden and Duke didn't at times drive me a little crazy (Love triangles do this, often!) But, she was able to make a final decision and stick to it and that's what I needed to see. I'm glad that Ferguson allowed her character to grow.

After being almost completely put off by book two, I'm pretty satisfied with this book. I think it's headed in the right direction. There was a greater character development if only for Krissa, but it was needed. 

 The ending was a cliffhanger so I think it's safe to assume there will be another book. Maybe? I'm intrigued to see how the author will continue the story, and how it will progress. With two unexpected deaths, it will be interesting to see how Krissa takes that and moves forward.

  
 

2 comments:

  1. Ha, yes! I definitely think that this series is finally heading towards the right direction. I liked Duke better than Braiden but you're right about him bringing Krissa down from cloud nine. And the deaths? Totally unexpected, though maybe one is not completely true? Maybe maybe. Hope so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...the blurb for this one had me interested but I think I'm going to have to skip this one. Wishy-washy characters are a huge pet peeve of mine and love triangles aren't exactly my favorite thing, either. However, I like how the character development sounds. But still, that probably won't be enough to get me to pick this one up. Nice review, though!

    ReplyDelete