Saturday, August 23, 2014

Ghost House by Alexandra Adornetto Book Review

Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Publisher: Harlequin Teen 
Expected Published Date: August 26th, 2014
Source: Kismet Book Tours
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19486754-ghost-house?from_search=true 
From the New York Times bestselling author of Halo comes the start of a beautiful and powerful new series.

After the loss of her mother, Chloe Kennedy starts seeing the ghosts that haunted her as a young girl again. Spending time at her grandmother's country estate in the south of England is her chance to get away from her grief and the spirits that haunt her. Until she meets a mysterious stranger…

Alexander Reade is 157 years dead, with secrets darker than the lake surrounding Grange Hall and a lifelike presence that draws Chloe more strongly than any ghost before. But the bond between them awakens the vengeful spirit of Alexander's past love, Isobel. And she will stop at nothing to destroy anyone who threatens to take him from her.

To stop Isobel, Chloe must push her developing abilities to their most dangerous limits, even if it means losing Alex forever… and giving the hungry dead a chance to claim her for their own.


I have to admit that while I was reading the book I wasn't feeling particularly excited, or even moved. I couldn't see where the story was going, if at all.

I don't read ghost stories. I can't recall a single one I've read so this was a sort of introduction. I've read the entire Halo series by Adornetto and despite the many negative reviews I actually enjoyed the series so I was pretty open to reading this book even though the topic isn't one I gravitate towards.

About 50-60% in I thought this book might disappoint me and it almost did until I got to the very end. The ending gave me a renewed sense of hope. It set up the next book expertly and I now know that I will be excited for the rest of the books even though I am clueless to where it will go.

I think the book was well done considering it's the first in the series. It's not particularly thrilling in the way one might imagine it would be but it was good, and it was enough for me to feel compelled to continue the series.

I will say though, it's pretty heavy on the romance so if that's not your thing you might not enjoy this novel. Being the sap that I am, that was the part I enjoyed most.

I think Ghost house was a good start and I'm fairly excited to see what comes next.

For those that have read the Halo series and didn't enjoy it, you will either like this one or feel the same way about this book as you did the Halo series, since it has that same sort of character set up.

I'm intrigued, though, and I'm excited for book two, and I hope it doesn't disappoint.

6 comments:

  1. I am not sure I would have stuck it out that long if I felt the story had no real direction!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the concept sounded intriguing but based on the review I think I will pass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sappy too, so the romance might be enough to keep me going - I'm glad that the book ended on a really intriguing and positive note!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I may actually read this one !
    Nice review by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the blurb kind of sound pretty typical for me but it's something I usually just dig into.. but seeing that it's heavy on romance... I'd like to think more about it. Nice review! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete