Friday, August 8, 2014

Doppleganger by Milda Harris Book Review

Genre: Young Adult
Source: Publisher/Author via Netgalley
Edition: eBook/Kindle, 146 pages
Published Date: July 29th, 2012
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15778249-doppelganger

Citrus Leahy is having a really bad day. First she's late to school. Then she runs into the girl who drives her nuts because she always calls her Orange instead of her name. To cap it all off, when Citrus finally makes it to class, she sees herself already inside. Wait. What? Citrus Leahy has a doppelganger! It's probably aliens taking over the world and her life has just turned totally upside down. Goodbye, normal. Hello, paranormal! Luckily, her crush Aedan has the exact same problem!
 This gif sums up the totality of my feelings for this book. The characters, the plot, the everything--displeased me! I can honestly say that this book, although I had no true expectations for this book, completely displeased me.

Petty reason # 1 of why I didn't like this book:
The main character's name, Citrus Leahy. What?

Reason # 2: The Dopplegangers/The word Doppleganger
If I go the rest of my life never hearing the word Doppleganger, or Dopple-"insert name here" it would honestly be too soon. It was severely overused. I understand it was the central point of the story but it just became irritating after a while.

Not to mention are the dopplegangers, are they aliens, or are they vampires. I'm all kinds of confused about that.

Reason # 3. The conflicting/contradicting emotions of Citrus. (This was my main problem.)
I literally could not keep up with Citrus' emotions. Her life has been taken over by a doppleganger but she's wondering if stressing out about it will give her pimples, and will her crush who hasn't noticed her otherwise, will notice.  She had this extremely shallow personality that bounced between emotions faster than a ping pong match. It drove me absolutely crazy.

*sigh* *deep breath* This book, I just can't. If you want to read this one go ahead but be prepared for everything I just mentioned, and oh, a cliffhanger. 

I'm just done, and no I will not read book two. In this case I'm almost sure it won't help. 

This review is strictly my opinion.




4 comments:

  1. Goodness this book does sound like garbage. But even the cover doesn't interest me in the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. That's so funny.Thanks for the warning. Def, not going to pick this one up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry this one didn't work for you, but thanks for the honest review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bleh, this is one I'm definitely going to be steering clear of. It sounds like I would have some major problems with Citrus. I dislike when MCs worry about superficial things when something insane and scary is happening around them. It makes it less believable. I know that if this was ever happening to me, the last thing I'd be worried about is breaking out.

    Thanks for the honest review!

    Ashtyn @ Wonderland’s Reader!

    ReplyDelete