Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Disruption by Steven Whibley Book Review

 Genre: Young Adult
Published: March 19, 2014
Self Published
Source: Netgalley
Edition: eBook
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21399211-disruption

 At fourteen, Matt Cambridge has executed so many pranks - the latest nearly destroying his school - that his parents are out of discipline options. So his father pulls a few questionable strings to get his son into Camp Friendship: A camp that promises to strengthen the moral compass of today's youth. With a name like Camp Friendship Matt imagines three punishing weeks of daisy chains and Kumbayas.

Within minutes of arriving at the camp, however, Matt's nearly killed--twice. It doesn't take long for him to realize there's more to this picture-perfect place than meets the eye. What sort of summer camp has programs in forging passports? Why do they have endless fight training, and weapons drills, and what is with the hidden rooms? Matt wonders if his parents realize they've enrolled him in what seems to be some kind of freakish, elite spy school.

What Matt doesn't yet know - and is soon to find out - is that Camp Friendship's ultimate purpose is far more sinister than he could possibly have imagined. With each dot he connects, he begins to understand that in the end he'll be left with two choices: pull the prank of a lifetime to escape this place...or die trying.
  I have to admit I don't really know how I feel about this novel. On the one hand I enjoyed it on the other hand I'm not so sure about the book. The cover sort of gave off a different vibe and it led to some expectations of romance at least on some aspect. The girl in the background gives off the idea that there is some sort of connection between this guy and girl but there wasn't any. There was no real main girl at all.

I also thought it would have been more action packed than it actually was. I guess I just feel confused. All in all the plot was interesting it showcased a bunch of teens who were induced into a camp, "Camp Friendly." Matt, the MC, soon discovers the camp is anything but friendly, and it's nothing like what he expected.

That part of the story was intriguing but I think what disappointed me was it felt like it took too long for me to find out exactly what was going on. I have a feeling book two will supply the things I felt was a little lacking here.

I don't want to give off the impression that I didn't enjoy the novel because I did but I guess I thought I would have liked a little more than I did. It's possible the book was a little young for me. It felt a little juvenile in a way that would appeal to a younger audience. I think I'll leave this one for those younger than myself.

4 comments:

  1. Awww I hate when books betray you like that. Sorry that it wasn't what you expected :(
    But there are bright rays of sun and better books in the future :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. well that was misleading... the blurb is pretty interesting and I'll probably pick it up as well if I rely on it alone.. but for some reasons I really want my YA to have romance..

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Camp Friendly makes me giggle. Sounds like some pedophile camp meant to lure unsuspecting kids O_O But anyways, too bad this wasn't what you hoped for. I don't think I'd like this one either I like my novels with more action and juvenile-feeling ones usually don't work for me. Probably good for the younger YA crowd though!

    ReplyDelete