Wednesday, August 6, 2014

5 Self/Lesser Known Published Books for Indie/Self Pubbed Doubters--Part One

There are an array of self published novels out there and like books that are traditionally published you have to weed through them to get to the good ones. 

I know a lot of people feel apprehensive about the quality of content and writing in self published novels so I decided to share five of my favorite self 'pubbed' or lesser known publisher novels.

1. Death of The Mad Hatter by Sarah J. Pepper
 This a modern day retelling and twist of Alice in Wonderland and I have to say it was amazing. The characters are intriguing and the banter between the characters was awesome. I'm not completely sure if it's self pubbed or from a lesser known publisher but it's worth reading.

2.Attrition: the First act of Penance by S.G. Night

This is not a genre I'm usually into and I have to admit I was a little intimidated by how large it was (over 500 pages) especially since it's not really a genre I usually read. But, once I got into it I could just see the detail, and the time, and the creativity that went into it. If you're an epic or high fantasy fan this book is for you, and even if you're not.

3. You are Mine by Janeal Falor 

Women are sold to Warlocks to use for their power in this intriguing novel. I believe this novel is just from a lesser known publisher. I have to say this book changed how I felt about magic type of books because I typically avoid books dealing with sorcery, and magic but this was pretty darn good. I was amazed by how into I got.

4. Fire Country by David Estes

This was a page turner. It was intriguing. It had it's own lingo that gave the book that much more detail. I loved the characters. I loved the setting. It was all around well done.

5.Taking The Reins by Katrina Abbott

I really enjoyed this book. It was so light, and fun. It's perfect for the beach and you don't have to take it so seriously. The MC enters this prestigious school and the story follows her journey. It was just all around fun.

12 comments:

  1. I love books that are based around the story of Alice in Wonderland. That first book looks amazing, and I will be going to look that up asap. Thanks for this list! :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like there a lot of great self-published (or not) books that deserve more recognition than the mainstream ones and I enjoy finding them. All of those look great especially Attrition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great list Jazmen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these all look really interesting! I tend to be a little wary when I pick up a self-published books from an author I've never read before but I definitely want to start doing it more. There's so many awesome gems you can find when you give them a chance. I'm excited to look into this books, especially Death of the Mad Hatter :) Sounds right up my alley!

    Ashtyn @ Wonderland’s Reader!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Fire Country. Maybe I should bump it up on my TBR. Taking the Reins looks good too so I've added it to my TBR and there's also a giveaway for it on Goodreads. I like the idea of this post. So many people won't read self-published books and they're missing out on some really good reads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should read the first one since I'm crazy obsessed with Alice in Wonderland. I agree Attrition was super awesome even though it was really long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Mad Hatter one has such a wonderful cover! I HAVE to read that one now *says girl who totally judges books by covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I judge books by their covers often. I get it.

      Delete
  8. The Mad Hatter cover is so tempting. I'll add that one to my Goodreads list!
    I'm reading an independent at the moment - The Scare by Robert Shaw. It's a trashy high school horror story but entertainingly well done. L.N.Nino is also an excellent indie author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really into horror but I'll look into those two authors. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Jazmen! Thank you SO much for this AND for introducing me to some new reads/authors. You rock!
    p.s. Taking the Reins is now free, so even more reason for your bloggy friends to check it out.
    xoxo
    Kat

    ReplyDelete