Monday, August 25, 2014

10 YA Novels set in New York to put me back in a NY state of mind.

I am moving back to NYC next month! (Please excuse me while I proceed to do a brief happy dance.)

 I have spent the last two years attempting to acclimate to southern life here in Atlanta. Steamy days, and nights, open skies, and laid back living...in theory it sounds fantastic. Sometimes it was don't get me wrong but I gotta go!

I miss the sounds of cars passing by, packed trains, loud music, fast living, and brightly lit skyscrapers. I miss it from the depth of me and I'm going back to it.

Not to mention I have not worked for the last two years. To say I'm restless would be an understatement. So I am taking life by the britches and riding them all the way back to NYC in hopes of finding employment and satisfaction again. (I have a bachelor's degree in English (Journalism) and some masters courses of New Media Journalism under my belt. Just in case any employers are looking at this-- :D) ---Ignore this rant if you aren't.

 In honor of my move I'm sharing 10 YA novels set in NY to get back into a NY state of mind. (And to help you get into one too!) Even though I never really left at least not mentally.

 Enjoy! 

1.The Diviners by Libba Bray
2. Jessie Hearts NYC by Keris Stainton
3. Born of Illusion by Teri Brown
4. The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith


5. Ashes Ashes by Jo Treggiari
6. Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
7. Vaclav and Lena by Haley Tanner

8. It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
9. Au Revoir Crazy European Chick by Joe Schreiber
 10. A Long Way From You by Gwendolyn Heasley


And a little music for you to exit to... New York Groove by Kiss (I think I'll listen to this on the plane) * awkwardly dances away*


18 comments:

  1. Welcome back, I guess :D I really enjoyed reading this post!! Wow, It's Kind of a Funny Story has been on my TBR list for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks. I just cannot even express my happiness!

      Delete
  3. Good luck. I'm so happy for you! :D and all of those books look sooo good. I just... Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your move! I was in NYC for 6 months last year interning at a boutique literary agency. I was over in Greenwich. There's something about reading a book set in a city you've been to/lived in that gives it that extra connection. Love this list. I will def check out some of these titles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! New York and Atlanta are my two favourite places in the US - I'd quite happily live in either. However, I love books set in New York - the city is always a character in itself, isn't it? Some of my favourites are on this list but I also love Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist and Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List. Then the books that sparked my interest - The Princess Diaries and Gossip Girl! Good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I almost put those books on the list but decided against it.

      Delete
  6. If my family lived close to NYC, I'd love to live there. Right now it is only my sister, who loves it. Another book that makes me think of NYC is Spellcaster by Cara Lynn Schulz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the move! Hope everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm ashamed to say I haven't read any of those books! Though I'm really interested in The Diviners right now - I want to pick that one up so badly! I'm glad you're excited about your move! It sounds like you're definitely making the right decision :) I'm moving (for the first time O.O) up to Washington in a little less than a month for college so I'm right there with ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dream of going to New York! It looks so mesmerizing and dazzling! Hope you have a good time!

    ReplyDelete