Sunday, July 20, 2014

Wicked Games by Sean Olin Book Review

Wicked Games by Sean Olin
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Published Date: June 10th, 2014
Genre: Young Adult, Thriller, Mystery
eBook, 352 pages
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18599672-wicked-games

Wicked Games is the first book in a sexy thriller series where passion, lies, and revenge collide-perfect for fans of Simone Elkeles and Sara Shepard.

To all the locals in the small beach town of Dream Point, Carter and Lilah seem like the perfect It Couple-but their relationship is about to brutally unravel before everyone's eyes.

Carter has always been a good guy, and while Lilah has a troubled past, she's been a loyal girlfriend for the last four years. When smart, sexy Jules enters the picture at a senior-year bash, Carter succumbs to temptation. And when Lilah catches wind of his betrayal, she decides that Jules needs to pay.

By the end of the summer, the line between right and wrong will be blurred beyond recognition. Blood will be shed. Nothing in Dream Point will ever be the same.

This juicy summer read will keep readers turning pages until the shocking, nail-biting finale.

I went through a series of emotions while reading this book, and none of them were happy. At first I was intrigued but skeptical. I felt like it was leading me into a false sense of hope.
Then once I got to about 40 percent in and got to know the characters a bit more I was like...
And then about 15 percent more into the book. I could see where the story was going and I was...

By the end I thought okay, I totally seen that coming and that's that, and then I encountered the last couple of sentences, and...
Okay. That explains it, bye...kidding!
This is my attempt at making sense of what I just finished reading.
So, I didn't read the blurb, and it's probably a good thing I didn't or else it would have been even more predictable than it already was. This book is fatal attraction for teens.

The characters are so dense that it's a wonder they all didn't wind up in a state by the end of the novel. It's really hard to articulate without ranting and including spoilers so this probably won't seem all that put together.

Two teens, in love, live in blissful euphoria, until a slip up turns a girlfriend into a vengeful woman. Okay, I was okay with that but it got a little out of hand about halfway through. These characters drove me nuts. They aren't really easy to become attached to, and by the end I hadn't. I really think its sort of misleading to call this one a thriller because aside from a couple brief moments of nail-biting it was all so easy to predict.

Then I go to post my review and realize it says this book is apart of a series of books.
If you too, decide to read this book, you will wonder why as well. I just don't see the need to prolong this storyline for any longer than the last page of this book. And, of course the other nail in the coffin in the blurb would have been the comparison to Simon Elkeles, and...as you guessed, Sara Shepard. 
For some reason every single YA shelved as mystery (or what seems like every, YA), needs to have the tidbit, "Perfect for fans of Sara Shepard, or Pretty Little Liars." For goodness sake! A book can stand on it's own two feet without that little blurb.

Anyway what I'm saying is. This book just like Vivian Divine is Dead, and The Secrets of Lily Graves (Also thrillers) just left me feeling empty, and disappointed. The writing I liked but it couldn't erase my ill feelings towards the main characters.

The flip in attitude and that confusing last couple of lines just--*sigh* I'm so confu-sed. This book will probably piss you off. But, there's the select few that will love this book.

 I'm balancing somewhere between pissed off reader and intrigued masochist, because some small part of me is curious where this series will go.
3 books.









3 comments:

  1. I wasn't planning on reading this book anyway but maaan, definitely not going to be reading it now. This sounds like a book that I would *not* be able to stand in the least.

    Loved your review! Especially the gifs. ^___^

    Amelia | The Authoress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Thanks. Its just one of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww that's too bad. I was actually hoping this one would be good.

    ReplyDelete