Monday, July 21, 2014

{To Know Me} by Marcy Blesy Book Review


{To Know Me} by Marcy Blesy
Publisher: Self Published
Published Date: August 21st, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Romance
eBook, 130 pages
Source: Kindle Unlimited
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18371759-to-know-me?from_search=true
To know me is to die...

Seventeen-year-old Mae is convinced that the consequences of her poor decisions have caused the untimely deaths of her dad, sister Laura, and grandma who all die within a year, no matter how ludicrous her thoughts seem to those she loves. The solution? Run away so no one else she cares for gets hurt (even if she has to keep a GPS tracker on her phone at all times).

Desperate to earn her diploma and salvage something of her life, she transfers schools when people get too close. After switching to Woodson Prep with only two months to go until graduation, Mae keeps her goals in sight. But when she meets Ty, the "perfect boy" with his own secrets and a relentless interest in Mae, she must decide if she can stop running from the past and still protect those she loves.
I really enjoyed this book even though there were a lot of instances where I felt the story was disjointed and issues were brushed over too quickly. 

This is one of the very few books that I felt the story would have benefited from more pages. There were some things brushed over that I think would have went over better if it was allowed to go on a tad longer.

Despite that, I really felt kind of connected to Mae, and Ty. I don't know what it is but I have a thing for damaged characters. Maybe it's because I believe in the non-perfect story. I believe in plot lines that talk about things that make the everyday person uncomfortable. 

That's what I enjoyed about this story because Mae's life was imperfect and even though Ty was handsome he didn't feel like he fit into that typical YA mold, at least in some sense. 

I know that the book has a lot of flaws but I was able to overlook most of them and enjoy it. I'll be checking out the next two soon. I would recommend this book for someone not looking for anything specific to read and whose expectations aren't too high. Just read it without reading the blurb.
4 books!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for breaking YA molds! I picked this up for free somewhere (gah! Can't remember where) but this is the first review I've seen of it. Good to know that it's enjoyable even if it has it's flaws.

    Thanks for sharing! :D

    Amelia | The Authoress

    PS - LOVE your current header. ^_^

    ReplyDelete