Monday, July 14, 2014

The Half Life of Molly Pierce by Katrina Leno Book Review

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16068973-the-half-life-of-molly-pierce?from_search=true
 Publisher: Harper Teen
Published Date: July 8th, 2014
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Mystery
eBook: 256 Pages
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss
You take it for granted. Waking up. Going to school, talking to your friends. Watching a show on television or reading a book or going out to lunch.

You take for granted going to sleep at night, getting up the next day, and remembering everything that happened to you before you closed your eyes.

You live and you remember.

Me, I live and I forget.

But now—now I am remembering.


For all of her seventeen years, Molly feels like she’s missed bits and pieces of her life. Now, she’s figuring out why. Now, she’s remembering her own secrets. And in doing so, Molly uncovers the separate life she seems to have led…and the love that she can’t let go.

The Half Life of Molly Pierce is a suspenseful, evocative psychological mystery about uncovering the secrets of our pasts, facing the unknowns of our futures, and accepting our whole selves.

This meme about sums up exactly how I feel after finishing this book. I am just baffled by this book and I am so baffled I'm not sure if it's a good kind of baffled or a bad kind.

The Half Life of Molly Pierce is weird.

I felt like I was living a half life, one that understood what was happening, and another half that was completely confused. 

Molly Pierce is living, well sort of. She's living this disjointed life that makes no real sense to her--or me.  There are missing chunks of time and space that just don't seem to come together for Molly and the entire story watches her unfold her truths.

I almost feel like I should give this book a lesser rating because I was so confused but I can't because the writing is magnificent. It's so involving.

I can't tell anyone to read or not to read this novel because I couldn't really explain it to you if I tried. Let's just say you'd have to read it to make up your own mind.

This is one of those books you'll either love or hate. I'm stuck somewhere in between.
( I'm now using books as my rating system instead of stars. 3 books=3 stars)

7 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this book, and I think I'm going to have to give it a try just because it seems so weird, haha. It definitely sounds different, and I'm always looking for something unique.

    Amber @ Fall Into Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. This feels like something I'll love :) something about unreliable narrators.
    Considering your reaction to the book, fabulous review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I heard really good things about this book, and then mixed feelings about it. I may try it somewhere along the road though. Plus the way that font mixes in with the background on the cover looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a great read. I like the paranormal vibes its giving off even though it's not. Great review. Might check this out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books where the main character doesn't remember things so I'm planning on reading this one. But it does make me wary that the book was confusing…. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may like this one. It was a little too out there for me.

      Delete
  6. I've heard so many different reviews for this book! Most people seem to love it but agree that it could be pretty confusing. I still really want to read it though because I always love a good psychological thriller that can really mess with my head!

    ReplyDelete