Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch ARC Book Review

Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
eBook, 400 pages
Published Date Date: July 1st, 2014
Purchase Links: Barnes and NobleAmazon
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22096222-perfected


I was bred to be the perfect pet. I was bred for my beauty and grace, to be a showpiece, an ornament to sit upon the couch, to sing, to dance, to play the piano and paint. I was bred to willingly put my owner's happiness before my own.

Until Penn. The handsome and rebellious son of the congressman who owns me, he's the only person who's seen past my perfect exterior to the girl underneath. Falling for him is forbidden. Falling for him is freeing.

But there's a dark underworld lurking beneath my pampered life. The only thing more dangerous than staying with Penn's family is escaping it, because if I fail, I face a fate far worse than death...

For fans of Kiera Cass's Selection series and Lauren DeStefano's Chemical Garden series, Perfected is a chilling look at what it means to be human, as well as a stunning celebration of the power of love to set us free, wrapped in a glamorousand dangerousbow.
 Reading Perfected sort of makes you look at the human race differently, and it makes you question what it means to be human. People as pets? It seems odd enough but to actually read about it was another thing. There were some parts that I felt myself actually cringing.

While Perfected had a unique and thrilling premise, I have to admit it really wasn't all that exciting.
It wasn't for lack of trying. It was well written. I found the world building sufficient. The romance was well timed but it was pretty uneventful. 

There were a few heart-pounding moments at the end but it just didn't really make up for the other lack luster moments throughout the story. I honestly don't know what the author could have done differently that would have made it a little more exciting/interesting but it needed something.

Am I sorry I read it? No, not really but it's not something I'm going to rave about. It was an okay read with fairly decent characters that just fell a little short.

4 comments:

  1. Aww I'm sorry to hear that. I'm kind of interested in Perfected, but the fact that there is no plot kind of puts it low on the list. Glad I didn't request it!
    Nice review Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a plot. It's just kind of boring. I would give it a try. Many have given it higher ratings. Maybe it's just me :P

      And, thanks!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I was disappointed in this one. Interesting premise, but poor execution. Characters were a bit blah, insta-love, lack of world-building (I just had a lot of questions that weren't answered), and then rushed ending. Oh well, it wasn't that long and it was entertaining enough. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dammit! I was so looking forward to reading this book, now I'm not so sure... I might give it a try someday but I won't hurry to get it now as I had planned (so many other books I want to buy!). Thanks for the review, Jazmen!

    ReplyDelete