Thursday, July 31, 2014

5 of the Most Disappointing books I've read this year...so far--in words and gifs.

I know that many of you may disagree with these choices but the good thing is it's only my opinion so here we go.

1. Branded by Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki

The authors of this novel approached me on twitter and after having checked out the blurb and falling in love with the cover, and the idea of two besties writing a novel, and I was sold.  I read and reviewed the book. (MY REVIEW HERE) Now that the tour is long over I can really explain  why this was one of my most disappointing reads of the year, so far. I didn't (wasn't able to) fully explain in my review.

This book has an amazing concept, I mean look at that cover, it says it all. Initially it was pretty thrilling but then the cliches started rolling in, the gag inducing lust /love/hate thing started happening and I got frustrated. Cole and Lexi's relationship damned this book for me.  

I honestly think maybe I was beamed in from another planet because I seem to be the only person alive that has found flaws with (in) this book. I don't get the hype/love it's getting and I probably never will.--No booktuber alive can convince me otherwise. (So, no need in sharing the videos)

Do note it is NOT by any means the worst book ever but I just DO NOT think it's as good as people are making it out to be.


2. Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie Mcguire

This is another one of my "I'm so unlike everyone else" moments. (MY REVIEW HERE)
Although I wound up giving this book four stars, mostly because of how it ended, I was pretty disappointed. I absolutely loved Beautiful Disaster. Like, loved it! This one didn't really give me any of the emotions that BD, did and that was pretty disappointing. That's not to say it's not an enjoyable book because it is but I wasn't as crazy about it as I had anticipated.


3.After The End by Amy Plum
Unlike many other people who didn't enjoy the Revenants series by Amy Plum, I did. I was excited to see she was putting out a new series but this one just did not do it for me. A lot of people enjoyed this book but I for one found it lacking in areas I thought it would be strongest. The romance was pretty blah for me, and even though the main character was strong the way I liked the story fell flat, at least for me.

4. The Secrets of Lily Graves by Sarah Strohmeyer

Although I do not like that whole comparison thing publishers do, I'd be lying if I said the comparison to Pretty Little Liars didn't sell me. I loved the idea of this book but again it wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be, and the solution to the mystery left me feeling empty. I'm sorry too, because I thought this was going to be a favorite. (MY REVIEW HERE)

5. The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay
Let me start of by saying there is nothing wrong with this book, not really. I just didn't connect with it. I didn't feel many emotions and I think it has a lot to do with the way the book was written. I don't know. This is just one of those books everyone will go on loving and I will be in my forever alone group party of one.

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha we all have those books and I find it hilarious when you tell someone and they're like "But I LOVED that book."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I know. It just doesn't always work out.

      Delete
  2. I really didn't care too much for After the End either. Like you, I enjoyed her Revenant series and I was excited about this new book that she was coming out with but it fell flat for me...WAY FLAT lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these books but I thought Beautiful Oblivion and After the End were more than great. I like reading about different opinions, not every book is for everyone and I've had my share of dislikes, like My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick. Not as cute as I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with Branded... even though I joined the tour twice. I guess I'm just a really nice person who helps out.. unless your book absolutely sucked and got a DNF. :p

    The others, I haven't read yet. I just skip by them... because I'm a Fantasy/Paranormal/Sci-Fi person. Not exactly say.... contemporary? Or Romance. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one I've read is The Sea of Tranquility and it sucks that you didn't like it. D: That's okay though because we all have different opinions! I can see why it's not something that's for everyone. Thank you for sharing this though! I'll probably not be picking up any of the others. :P

    ReplyDelete