Monday, June 23, 2014

Dead Silent by Sharon Jones Book Review

Dead Silent by Sharon Jones
Publisher: Orchard Books
Published Date: February 6, 2014
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery
eBook, 336 pages
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21075641-dead-silent
BLURB
A snow angel etched in blood. An elite society. A secret dying to get out.

The second Poppy Sinclair Thriller.

When Poppy Sinclair and her boyfriend visit snowy Cambridge, she doesn't expect to discover the body of a student - arms outstretched in the act of smearing bloody angel wings on the chapel's floor.

Suddenly, Poppy is faced with the possibility that the one closest to her heart might be the one committing the most malicious of crimes.

Dodging porters and police, dreading what she might find, Poppy follows the clues left by a murderer bent on revenge...

Long-hidden secrets are chillingly revealed, an avenging angel seeks forgiveness and red-hot vengeance must be quelled in the amazing new Poppy Sinclair thriller.


REVIEW
Dead Silent felt like one of those crimes shows that have you scratching your head and feeling a little bit weirded out. Poppy and Michael are a boyfriend and girlfriend duo who are visiting Cambridge (university/college?) because Michael has always dreamed of attending there. It just so happens to also a religious college and Poppy's father is a teacher there. A father she's estranged from.

On a planned visit to the college a murder occurs just a few feet from where Poppy stands meeting her father. The murder is close to home and unexplainable.

I liked this book but I think I liked it more for the characters than the actual story itself. I didn't realize this book was apart of a series until well after I started reading it. I'm sure you learn more about each of the characters in book one but I found the development satisfactory without having read the first one.

The characters are really laid back but I liked the way they interacted. Michael is dreamy in a protective nerdy way and Poppy is pretty much messed up in the head and sort of clueless but I strangely found that part of her endearing.

I think if you want a little more background you should go ahead and read book one first but I think this book can stand on it's own. I didn't at any point feel confused by lack of development and character background.

Some parts of the book I found kind of boring and slow moving but I imagine that the author wanted to build up the mystery so I get that.

All in all it was a decent read. Not amazing but good.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting this book on my radar! It looks interesting from what you've said. Good review!

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely read mystery books but I kind of like how this one sounds. I sort of have a thing for books that can hold themselves even when they are part of a series. And characters are almost always more important than the plot in my manual. ;) Thanks for the great review!

    Melissa @ The Reader and the Chef

    ReplyDelete