Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Cinderella's Dress by Shonna Slayton ARC Book Review~

Cinderella's Dress by Shonna Slayton
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Published Date: June 3rd, 2014
Genre: Young Adult, Historical Fiction, Fairy Tales
eBook, Kindle, 340 pages
Source: Publisher

BLURB
Being seventeen during World War II is tough. Finding out you’re the next keeper of the real Cinderella’s dresses is even tougher.
Kate simply wants to create window displays at the department store where she's working, trying to help out with the war effort. But when long-lost relatives from Poland arrive with a steamer trunk they claim holds the Cinderella’s dresses, life gets complicated.
Now, with a father missing in action, her new sweetheart, Johnny, stuck in the middle of battle, and her great aunt losing her wits, Kate has to unravel the mystery before it’s too late.

After all, the descendants of the wicked stepsisters will stop at nothing to get what they think they deserve.

REVIEW 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21425498-cinderella-s-dress
Here's a list of things this book had going for it:
  • Fairytale Retelling
  • Unique Take on the Cinderella Fairytale
  • Historical Setting
  • Characters with unique passions
  • Lingo (Polish, 1940's style)
And now let me tell you how it all went wrong...
I had sort of high expectations for this novel but it just went wrong, so very, very wrong.
I kept updates for this novel on Goodreads and it seemed like the further and further I got nothing happened. I got to about 40% and was ready to DNF, but kept going. I got to 66% and still nothing. 

Now this I don't understand. How do you have this amazing setting and unique plot line and allow nothing to happen for that long. There were hints at what the true meat of the story was pretty early on but that's about all you got, a bunch of hints, and false hopes of anything happening. 

It wasn't until I got to about 80% in that anything remotely interesting happened and that's not even mentioning the romance. SORT OF SPOILER ALERT-->The dress which is the pinnacle of the entire story is supposed to be this highly coveted thing, people are willing to fight and kill over but they do not attempt to steal, fight, or kill over this dress until about 85% percent into the book.

That was so very disappointing. The middle pieces weren't really enough to hold my attention so I kind of kept having to come back to it.

The romance: It caught me off guard. I had to go back a chapter or two because I thought I missed something. It happened sort of out of the blue even though by the end of it when they were really and truly together I thought it was endearing. (END OF SPOILER)

*sigh* If you are willing to wait until you get to about 80% end for anything remotely interesting to happen then I suggest you read this novel. If you are really into the idea of unique fairy tale retellings by all means check it out. But, do not say I did not warn you.

Now that's not to say there is not something good in this story because there is but I just didn't find it worth having to read 75% of nothing to get to.

I'm sad :(

4 comments:

  1. I hate when I have high expectations for a book and then I'm disappointed. That is strange for nothing to happen for so long...is this the first in a series? It seems like more first books in series are reading more like introductions rather than a book, if that makes sense. If it's a stand-alone, it really doesn't make sense. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the crazy part. It was a stand alone. I just didn't get it. Better luck next time.

      Delete
  2. I saw this book on goodreads, and really loved the cover and the synopsis. Now I'm going to think twice before actually reading it. I'll keep your review in mind :D

    Jackie @Jackie's Book World


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you never know. You may love it and think I'm crazy :P It would be interested to see what you think.

      Delete