Wednesday, May 7, 2014

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han (Author of the Summer I turned Pretty) Book Review~


To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Published Date: April 15th, 2014
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Source: Entitle Books (Bought)
eBook, 274 pages

BLURB (Courtesy of Goodreads)
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

REVIEW
This is such an endearing novel. What started off as something I felt like I wouldn't connect with became a book I would clutch to my chest with love at the end.

The novel started off a little slow so I was a little worried that it wouldn't pick up.  I thought I would get bored with it but that was not the case. The Song-Covey girls are like the sisters you wish you had. They're realistic to a fault and down right amusing. I laughed quite a few times while reading this. The youngest sister Kitty is by far the sassiest and cutest little sister ever. I thoroughly loved and enjoyed her character. She was nine years of sass, and I enjoyed when her character spoke in the story. 
Margot is the ideal big sister, protective and fierce. Lara Jean is naive in the most endearing way, and her characters growth was one of my favorite parts of the story. I think her teenaged naivety was what made this book as good as it was. In most cases where that character trait wouldn't work, it thrived here.
It's also interesting the way the author weaved the Korean culture into the story so seamelessly. I don't see a lot of culture in Young Adult novels so I was glad for it's presence here. 

I think readers of any age, and of any walk of life will find something in this novel that they can connect with. I am actually quite surprised how well this one went over for me.
The ending is sort of cliffhanger-y so it leaves something to be desired for the next one, which is pretty interesting, especially for a contemporary novel but it's done so perfectly, and so effortlessly you won't even mind it.

I think it's worth reading. It's light, it's enjoyable and it's sort of swoon-y. It has all the makings of a great series (I already seen the title of book two on Goodreads) and I'm excited for book two.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15749186-to-all-the-boys-i-ve-loved-before?from_search=true

7 comments:

  1. I've heard so much hype about this book, and now I really want to read it! Great review (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should check it out. It's so cute!

      Delete
  2. I've been seeing so many reviews on this too! And I will definitely pick this up sometime in the future!!! I had no idea until now that the MC is Korean, which is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one, it was such a feel good book! I loved the relationship, such an opposites attract, and it was so well done. I loved how honest they were with each other since they weren't trying to impress each other. They really got to know each other first. That ending, though! I didn't know when I was reading it that it was a series so I was completely surprised (and not in a good way!) I'll definitely be reading the next one, but it's hard to see how they'll do a whole book if it's just more of the same. It could have been wrapped up in a chapter or two, so I'm curious to see what the author does. Glad you enjoyed it! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'm really surprised by the cliffanger, especially in a comtemporary novel but I guess that will make it all the more interesting to see how she swings the next one :)

      Delete
  4. loved your review!! I am getting a copy of this one sure sure!!

    ReplyDelete