Monday, May 5, 2014

Pandemic by Yvonne Ventresca ARC Book Review

Pandemic by Yvonne Ventresca
Publisher: Sky Pony Press
Publish Date: May 6th, 2014
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia, Science Fiction
eBook
Source: Sky Pony Press Via Edelweiss

Blurb: (Courtesy of Goodreads)

Even under the most normal circumstances, high school can be a painful and confusing time. Unfortunately, Lilianna's circumstances are anything but normal. Only a few people know what caused her sudden change from model student to the withdrawn pessimist she has become, but her situation isn't about to get any better. When people begin coming down with a quick-spreading illness that doctors are unable to treat, Lil's worst fears are realized. With her parents called away on business before the contagious outbreak-her father in Delaware covering the early stages of the disease and her mother in Hong Kong and unable to get a flight back to New Jersey-Lil's town is hit by what soon becomes a widespread illness and fatal disaster. Now, she's more alone than she's been since the "incident" at her school months ago.

With friends and neighbors dying all around her, Lil does everything she can just to survive. But as the disease rages on, so does an unexpected tension as Lil is torn between an old ex and a new romantic interest. Just when it all seems too much, the cause of her original trauma shows up at her door. In this thrilling debut from author Yvonne Ventresca, Lil must find a way to survive not only the outbreak and its real-life consequences, but also her own personal demons.


REVIEW
2 OUT OF 5 STARS**

You see that girl right there-----> That's me banging my head against the wall.

Pandemic is supposed to be a sort of post apocalyptic, dystopian, end of the world type of drama but its a more like a feeble romantic novel wrapped in a lackluster dystopian cover.

The synopsis is so misleading and so presumptuous that I feel like I've just got taken. The synopsis makes the book seem much more action-packed and intriguing than it actually is. Sure there's the threat of world wide disease and countless deaths but it is so dull.

There was no fire or excitement. Actually it was quite depressing. There was just despair and disappointment throughout the entire novel.

I don't expect novels of this genre to be all roses and sunshine but this was a little heavy on the gloom and doom for me.

Its a shame too because I felt so connected to the writing style. It was relatable and contemporary but it couldn't save this story. Neither could the relationship, not relationship between two of the main characters.

*sigh* If you need me I'll be watching Spongebob trying to cheer myself up.

VERDICT
BUY OR BORROW?
BORROW

10 comments:

  1. It's too bad this was so disappointing! It seems like such an interesting premise and I love the look of the cover! I would find it hard to get into a book that is so relentlessly depressing as well though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a shame :( I'm big fan od dystopian novels, and frankly, I could do without the romance in this genre, even though my first love are romance novels. I don't think I would enjoy this on either.
    Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the romance when it's done right but I know how it can seem pretty inappropiate for this genre./ You're welcome :)

      Delete
  3. What's your opinion on The Fault In Our Stars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally gave the book five stars. I think it's brilliantly written but it's like the more I think about it the more I think it's a little overrated. I don't know. Lately I've been feeling iffy about it.

      Delete
  4. I just finished writing my review and I'll be posting it tomorrow. I liked the book A LOT more than you did, but I had major problems with the main character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it just goes to show how differently we all perceive the same book :) I look forward to seeing your review and how you took to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree, I like the book but there's just some things I don't love about it. I wrote a review yesterday on it

    ReplyDelete
  7. definitely not reading this one....the topic already sounded too depressing and then to not be done well. ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete