Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Four Reasons Why I don't like Book Comparison Blurbs (Explained in the Post)~

We've all seen them...

"John Green's The Fault in Our Stars meets Rainbow Rowell's Eleanor & Park in this beautifully written, incredibly honest, and emotionally poignant novel."- Say What You Will, Cammie McGovern

"With the intrigue of Pretty Little Liars and plenty of romance, bestselling author Sarah Strohmeyer weaves a story of secrets and lies—set in a funeral parlor."- The Secrets of Lily Graves, Sarah Strohmeyer

These little blurbs that publishers/editors whomever it is that does it, creates to entice readers into buying these books in hopes of finding the next The Fault in Our Stars, Divergent, Pretty Little liars etc... I've found that they do more harm than good and here are some reasons why I don't like them:
(I've been a victim of comparing books before but I won't do it anymore I promise)

1. I have found that about 50 % of these (maybe more) comparisons are unfounded.



 A lot of times I find that these comparisons are way off. The book is either nothing like the book it's being compared to or a really bad imitation.
  
2. I don't want to read the same book I've read previously.
 New books deserve to be remembered for their originality not the books they were compared to.

3. They place unnecessary expectations on the book.
I hate picking up a book and I read the blurb and it's like "Fans of the Hunger Games will devour this novel." And then I get excited and I read it and I'm just like...
 Don't do this! You are doing this book a grave injustice. It puts expectations on a book that can be met and you're left with a disappointed reader.

4. It doesn't give the new book a chance to stand on it's own.
A lot of time these blurbs put these books in categories they don't belong in. They should be able to just be their own book without the need to compare it to some other best selling book. They can be different and that's okay. Whether or not it's like Divergent or not won't make me want the book any less.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said, and also comparison also turn off people who DIDN'T like the other books. Compare an upcoming or new release to something I didn't like and you've already lost me as a reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's even worse if you don't like the book that compare the new book too! Didn't even think about that part.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, sometimes even the back of book description ruins the book for me. Here's an example:
    From Brandon Sanderson's "Hero of Ages":
    "Revelations abound, connections rooted in early chapters click into place, and surprises, as satisfying as they are stunning, blossom like fireworks to dazzle and delight. It all leads up to a finale unmatched for originality and audacity that will leave you rubbing your eyes in wonder, as if awaking from an amazing dream."
    I don't know, I didn't like the first books of the Mistborn Series, and this is the kookiest back of book description I've ever encountered in my literary life. I stopped reading it because of that, and I also found it kind of... boring. Which doesn't happen often with a Sanderson book and me.
    Anyways, good to know that other people hate the book comparisons on some book. Eragon is supposed to appeal to Lord of the Rings fans (when it copies elements unscrupulously from it)? [Please kill me now. My faith in book publishing is torn asunder.]
    ~Litha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly have no idea what that blurb is even attempting to say. I got a headache trying to decipher it. That was so messy!

      Delete
  3. It is so aggravating to read these comparisons on the blurbs when it can be so inaccurate! I tend to ignore them and put more stock in if the blurb is recommended by an author I like. Book marketing to can be so tricksy sometimes! That's why the publishers need us bloggers to tell the truth! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with everything you said. I never really thought of it. The biggest thing is that the new book often times cant compete with the book it is compared to, so it unfairly can never stand on its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the part that bothers me the most.~

      Delete