Friday, May 30, 2014

Feature and Follow Friday, # 21


 Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.

Feature and Follow Friday is hosted by Parjunkee and Alison Can Read. This week's F&F topic/question is: 



 Question of the Week: How important is good writing to you? In an ideal world, a book would be beautifully written AND have great character development, plot, etc. But in the real world, which do you prefer: (1) Great characters and plot with lousy writing or (2) Middling character development and plot but gorgeous writing 

 

I think "good" writing is essential, at least it is for me. I find it very hard to enjoy a book when the writing is not done well. As someone who went to school for journalism/english. I have a deep innate appreciation for the written word and I will always love a well written story although sometimes good writing doesn't make for a good story but I wouldn't substitute good writing for a "good" story. But, I also can appreciate a good story with not so good writing but it definitely takes away from it as a whole.

It's kind of hard to say one way or the other but I think if I was being forced to choose I'd take the well written story over the poorly written one.

10 comments:

  1. I chose plot over writing too. I'll read anything, really. Just as long as it isn't a lousy book with lousy writing!

    New GFC and Bloglovin' follower! :) Here's my F&F

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose great characters & plot with lousy writing.

    Old bloglovin follower. New G+, GFC & twitter follower. Follow me back via my FF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I studied English too, so like you I find that bad writing impacts my enjoyment of a book no matter how good the plot is! Thanks for stopping by my blog, following you back via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really tough question. Either way it won't have it's full potential without one of the other. So it's kinda figuring out which you ate more attached to, which is also hard. Each aspect makes the book that much more amazing. So yea really tough question.

    I see a lot/most with a gorgeous written book over great characters and plot. I can see that, for me though I went with The latter, characters & plot. I actually can ignore grammar issues and such. I wouldn't even mind being like an editor. I have to have great characters or a no go.

    Wow I kind of rambled there :)
    New follower via GFC & Google+
    Thanks for following me & stopping by my blog too!
    -Amanda @ Escaping Reality Within Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol it's kind of a tough question. It's hard to say absolutely yes or no one way or the other. :)

      Delete
  5. This is tougher to answer than at first thought. My immediate response was that good writing is essential. I love the prose of authors such as Cormac McCarthy, Margaret Atwood and Philippe Claudel. But then I considered that I've thoroughly enjoyed less literary thrillers and mysteries where the emphasis is more on a cracking plot, most recent of these being Colette McBeth's Precious Thing, or great characterisation as in Manakau Bluebirds by Tin Larrick.
    Am I allowed to sit on the fence here? I think I'll say that I can't stand truly awful writing but otherwise, I'm in the good writing over good plot/characters camp. Probably.

    Followed on Bloglovin and Google+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're allowed. :P This question was really tough!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer having great characters over writing, because for some reason I don't find myself interested in the writing as much as I do the story and plot. I really love your blog color theme! I'm a new GFC follower and an old bloglovin' follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a hard question. Good Answer.
    I'm an existing follower.
    Diane @ Diane's Book Blo

    ReplyDelete