Wednesday, May 7, 2014

6 Reasons Why I changed my mind about eBooks and why I caved~

When I first heard about the e-reader I stomped around my house downright outraged at the betrayal. With crossed arms I refused to never ever read a book in electronic form. I huffed and puffed and I eventually caved.

Reason #1: I got a shiny new toy, a tablet.
I got a Google Nexus Tablet and I was desperate to see what it could do which eventually led to me downloading an e-reading app.


Reason #2: I started blogging, about books. 
Once I started getting in review requests I realized how preferable eBooks were for authors, so I had to cave.


Reason 3: Availability. Ebooks are everywhere.
The thing with eBooks is that you can get them anyplace and anywhere. When I moved from New York to Atlanta, I lost my library. In my mind there is no library comparable to a New York Public Library and I wanted to maintain my access to it and it's library so I had to try out eBooks.

Reason #4: I discovered free Kindle books.
This is self explanatory. It was free and I wanted it, all!


Reason #5: Publishers seem to prefer ebooks. 
When I first started thinking of ARC's I realized a lot of authors prefer giving out eBooks and because I wanted the books I did what any sane book loving maniac would do, I said bring it on! (Even though my heart wanted the physical copy)


Reason #6: It saves space.
I've literally had to sell like a hundred books to make room for more. (I still buy them) and I think even my cat is giving me the stink eye. E-books just save me space.

And even though I've said all of that. I will always love buying books, touching them, smelling their paper and coveting them. I also will never stop buying them but at least I'm saving a little room (*Goes to Amazon and orders a new book*)


17 comments:

  1. YES!! Absolutely the same here. I love both ebook and physical books! I tend to buy my non-fiction reads in physical and all else in ebook format, unless the cover is just breathtaking and I have to physically own it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I mostly buy ebooks to save some space on my shelves, but if I love a book so much I'll go buy the physical copy for me to smell, touch, and look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh I remember the time I was like NO I WILL NOT I want my physical books! But then over time I realized that a kindle or ereader would be so helpful since I don't have a car in college yet (next year), and plus I was getting pressured by every one of my friends who had them as well. So in the end I got one.

    Also sometimes ebooks from Amazon are really cheap!!! And other times I just don't want to wait for the shipping. AND THE LIBRARY does have ebooks to borrow, except I haven't figured out how that works yet. Now my only problem is to find an amazing secondhand bookstore near my town....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You fought the good fight just like I did :) I don't know of any book stores where I am aside from Barnes and Noble so I'll stick to my eBooks and Amazon until I move back to New York

      Delete
  4. Truth! You just can't beat the ease of using ebooks, and having your next read available any time, any where! I'll always buy real books, but I do enjoy picking up my kindle and just buying a book and reading it within minutes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not an ebook reader and I don't plan to become one, but you make a lot of great points in this post! I'll never be able to give up the sensation of holing a physical book in my hands, and I have a fantastic library system (it may not be the NYPL, but it has every book I could ever want), so I'm still fighting against them. :) However, I'm glad you eventually made ebooks work for you. Maybe someday I'll be able to say the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, those reasons are why I changed as well. I still prefer physical books, but after moving an hour away from the nearest big box book store, I was forced to change my mind about e-books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a huge ebook fan - mostly for space and being able to carry along a bunch of books easily in my purse!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree; I used to hate the idea of ebooks but that all changed once I discovered that there was a thing called 'free kindle books.' I kind of went out of control....for a while I was downloading like three a day. O_O And blogging has only increased the amunt of ebooks I take in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. E-books for the win! I have a Nexus tablet (and phone) as well and I love it so much! Of course, the joy of reading physical books will never go away but e-books are perfect for so man different opportunities. I mean, ain't nobody got time to be lugging around huge books right? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. In some case carrying books aren't possible. So, yes it's very convenient.

      Delete
  10. I bought a Kindle a few years ago because my bookshelf was getting full and I wanted to build up a library of ebooks to take with me to college. :D So, space is my favorite benefits about having an e-reader. It's definitely helpful to have one as a blogger too!

    ReplyDelete