Monday, March 10, 2014

Why I really don't like audiobooks...Sorry in advance

So I kept seeing the Audible 30-day free trial. You sign up and you get one free audiobook, having tried it previously (listening to audiobooks and yes, I've tried different genres) I was a little reluctant. BUT, I decided to give it another try. It's free I thought what the heck. I downloaded a book (the book and it's speaker shall remain anonymous) and I downloaded it and listened for approximately 1 minute or less and I snatched my headphones out of my ears dramatically, and deleted the app. ( I didn't care that I was also losing the newly downloaded book.)

There are many people who love audiobooks, and you know what? I applaud you. I admire you for being able to listen to audiobooks because I simply just cannot. Yes, they are super convenient while working out, cooking, working, etc. I just could not get into it and here's why:

It's weird and the voices freak me out.

The voices are always so prim and proper and usually nothing like I imagined them to be no matter the character. I expect all of the emotions and they usually come off false to me. They also never sound like what I would want or expect them to sound like. I find that whole aspect of it very disappointing.


They're almost always so many hours long. Now I know that reading a book in all actuality can take just as long as listening to an audio book could but listening to those weirdly animated voices for 9 hours is not my cup of tea.


And lastly, if you want to purchase them like actually own it, and feel it in your hands they can get pretty expensive. I've seen a typical price of like around 20-25 dollars. Dude, I cannot afford that and even if I could I wouldn't pay it.



I know so many of you (audiobook lovers) are shaking your heads in disagreement and I totally get why you like them but I just cannot get into it at all. I don't think I ever will. I'm bothered by the entire thing. Do any of you love audiobooks. What are some of the reasons you love them besides convenience?

19 comments:

  1. I've never tried audio books but don't think I would like them. I totally agree with you about imagining voices in a certain way, I really doubt the recorded voices would live up to them.
    Also, I read kind of quickly so doubt that audiobooks will be able to keep up with me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with the voices part! That's why I don't do audiobooks. My friend had an audiobook of Tis The Season by Ann M. martin, and I could not stand the voice they used to narrate because she didn't sound like what I pictured the characters sounding like. I suppose if someone is narrating their autobiography, I could stand that, but fiction, not really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I've only listened to two audiobooks, both ones I got as deals through Audible, several years ago, the first two in the Eragon series. But, my mind wanders when listening to them. I just prefer to read myself. Not sure if I'm any faster, but it seems quicker to read than to listen to someone say every word. So you're not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. I've tried audiobooks and I can just not get through them! I know I read faster then they do so I start to get distracted by other things. I also agree about the voices not matching or showing the same level of emotion you envision in your head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, I don't like audiobooks either. I can usually read the book so much faster, for one. For another thing, if I like the book, I want to keep listening, but while an audiobook is good if you're exercising or doing something, I feel like an idiot sitting on my couch listening to a book. And then finally, I have yet to like a narrator (now, I've only listened to three audiobooks, but still). The last one I listened to was an Australian trying to do a Boston accent. Not good at all. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. It's just tough to get right, and even harder to get into.

      Delete
  6. I want to like audio books, and I think the only time I love them is when I can't sleep half an hour of someone talking to me and I am asleep, but then I have no clue what has happened the next time I put it on because I fell asleep. and really the price and the length it takes to listen to them is horrible, I can read a novel in around 4 hours but takes 9 to listen to a book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking about this today. I am not a fan of audio books either. The voices don't work in my head, and like you said they are prim and proper. Plus I like to see the words and how the author structured the sentences, as odd as that might sound. I think that's half the fun of books: observing the words visually.

    Great post!

    Kim @ YA Asylum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I know what you mean. It's just not the same experience, at all!

      Delete
  8. Most the audiobooks I've listened to have been for books I've already read, but ew. I know. I've avoided them because of these reasons and many more. For one thing, I'm already good at getting distracted while reading a book. At least there I know where I zoned about because I didn't flip the page. With an audiobook, it's all "Wait, what? What did I miss? What's going on here?" And then there's the monetary issues. It just gets way too expensive for me. Maybe they're convenient for some people, but I think the only way I would use them is if it was for a book I really didn't want to read but people were making me or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It just gets way too weird for me, and super easy to get distracted and lose your place like you said.

      Delete
  9. I am an audiobook listener, but there are plenty of books I refuse to listen to because the voice isn't right. I started with audio because I would find myself wishing I could read when I was driving to work. Audio solved that. The downside, other than when the voices are wrong (and some readers do not do voices at all, and that works pretty well) is that you can't refer back to something like you can with a book, when you want to double check what you just read/heard.

    All in all, I continue to listen to audio books because I can keep up with my reading even while I'm doing things that I can't read while doing.

    Oh, and if you consider audio again, I highly recommend Libba Bray's Beauty Queens, read by the author. It was one of my favorite audio book experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually on your last statement. They were expensive which is ridiculous. I tried downloading free audio books but it's sources may cause virus and some parts were cut. My first attempt in listening was unsuccessful, it actually put me to sleep. My second attempt was better as I appreciate the story and narrator.

    Whodunnit?: Murder in Mystery Manor by Anthony Zuiker was a good one. I'm hooked with its story and the narrator. I think audio books are effective on Mystery novels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to hate audiobooks but now I can't work/cook/drive without it. And on your comment about them being expensive, I have not bought 1 single audiobook this year, I use Overdrive which connects to your library. So far I listened to almost 30 books this year and they were all from the library and all of the ones that I've been wanting to read for awhile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely have their benefits and I'm also able to get some at the library if I were pushed but they just are not for me. I tried, I really did.

      Delete