Thursday, February 27, 2014

The B-Side Diaries by Brian Joyce Book Review



The B-Side Diaries by Brian Joyce
Self Published 
Published Date: October 31st, 2013
Genre: Young Adult, Realistic Fiction, Contemporary

Rory is only seventeen years old and six months removed from his friends in Nashville, Tennessee when he receives the news that his best friend Christopher has died—and worse yet, he has been hand selected to deliver Christopher’s eulogy. Over the course of one weekend Rory must confront his fears of public speaking, falling in love, growing up, and losing a sense of what he calls home. Wrought with emotion, and fueled by teenaged doubt, friendship, and punk rock music—The B-Side Diaries unravels the truths about not only what it means to lose a close friend, but also the truths about what it means to be a teenager. Told through diary-like confessions from Rory’s perspective, The B-Side Diaries is written in a faux-memoir style, that pulls the reader into the mind of a teenager sorting out his life, and coming to grips with his loss of innocence. 
Think “The Big Chill” for teenagers meets Fat Kid Rules the World.



Review+Rating
4 out of 5 stars

*copy provided by author in exchange for an honest review*

The struggle of a death too soon and life moving too fast are prevalent issues in this memoir like novel that reads like a reel of memories.

Rory ‘s world is turned upside down when he receives a call from his best friend Christopher’s mother to notify him of her son’s death. Readers follow Rory as he heads back to Nashville to mourn the death of his friend, while catching up with old friends and dealing with unexpected emotions. 

Stories like this cause me to struggle with writing a review. I feel so emotionally disheveled (in a good way) that I’m not sure if the words I write will register with readers or if readers will even be able to fully grasp how I felt after reading the book. I want so badly to be understood and I also want to rant like a fangirl because I feel that strongly.

I feel like I've lost a close friend. I read the entire last half of the book with a lump in my throat cursing the fictional world for taking Christopher away. It just isn't fair.

Readers are taken down memory lane through snippets of Christopher’s life being told by his closest of friends. It was all too realistic. I actually felt connected to this story in a way I hadn’t anticipated. 

I love when a writer can write a story that connects with and intrudes on my life and this one definitely does that, and well. I'd highly recommend it, just have tissues ready.



3 comments:

  1. Wow, never heard of this one, but after your review I want to read it so badly! I love sad books, and this one sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was a great book by a great person

    ReplyDelete