Thursday, August 15, 2013

What makes a book "bad"?



I've been doing quite a few R&R's (read and reviews) lately and I'm finding that a lot of potentially good books are being ruined because they are doing these five things. (There are many things that make a book bad but, I'm just going to highlight five.)

1. Poor Execution/Lost Story
- I've read so many books that have great plots but when I actually got don to reading the book, I found that the plot was poorly executed. They dance around the plot, or they allow it to get lost in another idea all together. It's gets so jumbled that I find I can't even write a summary when I get to the review because I don't know what the story was even about.

2. Character Development
Characters are the books. They give the story life. If an author fails to develop their character(s) properly I find that the story loses it's flavor. It just becomes a series of never ending sentences, and lack luster situations. I don't know about anyone else but I want to know what my character does, what they look like, do they have cats, are they allergic to peanut butter, etc. The more I know about a character, the easier it is for me to connect to the story.

3.Bad writing
I've always wanted to be a writer, since I picked up my first writing utensil. I love the joy I feel when I write. I'm not perfect at it, but I'm willing to work on it, and not only that I know I was born to do it. The problem is everyone seems to thinks because you can turn it into an eBook that they're writers. People seem to think if you can slap a couple thousand words on pages, that they're a writer and they should shove it down the throats of readers. Critique although sometimes cruel, and hard to take is very much needed. Sometimes, you need someone to sit you and down and just tell you "no." Some authors (I use that term loosely) needed that.

4. Grammar
I'm not a grammar nazi by any means. My grammar is far from perfect. I have to work at it and I'm okay with admitting that. But, I've read some books and I'm stunned. I'm stunned that they've put forth a work with so many errors. I can ignore quite a few typos. I make them but, some books are so laden with them that it makes it hard to even read the book.

5. Bad endings
This is has potentially ruined many books for me. You read an entire book, and then you get to the end and it's just like, What the hell? Some authors write endings that are seemingly so far from what the entire story has been about. Or they write an ending that just doesn't end the story smoothly. They write an ending that is not necessarily a cliffhanger but just not an ending, it's lacking. There's no conclusion to the story. When endings are anything like these it can sometimes ruin an entire book and bring my rating down a notch or two.

What are some of the things you think make a book bad? 

11 comments:

  1. Huge cliffhangers. It'll wreck even a great story for me. I don't mind if the next book is set up, but at least the plot of the first book should be resolved in some tangible way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to not hate cliffhangers so much depending on how exactly it ends but it definitely needs to make sense. It needs to complete the story.

      Delete
  2. I agree with all of these! I'm not a huge grammar nazi either, though I tend to notice mistakes, and its bothersome. And a sloppy execution will never make me excited to turn the pages! I always want my books to keep me on my toes and completely immerse me in the stories :) I think I get bothered by horrible characters the most. After all, they're the ones I'm reading about, and it just makes me want to slap them silly when they're not developing at all D: And I hate cliffhangers, unless its for a book in the middle of a series, since I know that's not technically the end. The wait is excruciating though! So yeah, I prefer some sort of resolution. Great discussion :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the horrible character thing. Sometimes I read books and the characters will have me consistently rolling my eyes. I'm okay with a villian but sometimes I literally want to reach i and slap them.

      Delete
  3. I agree with bad endings. I hate it when the ending feels rushed or they just like end the book abruptly, it doesn't give me any closure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had major issues with the ending of Scorpio Races. If I'm reading an ending I need completion! We need closure people! Things should just end properly.

      Delete
  4. I agree. I'm all about the characters and I find it really off putting when an author doesn't develop the characters. No cardboard cut-out please! I find unlikeable boring characters of-putting also. I don't mean unlikeable in that they have to be nice but they must be interesting so that I want to read their story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean totally. Characters are the story pretty much.

      Delete
  5. I'll forgive a lot when it comes to the writing, for me it's more about the characters and the plot. Some writers just have a talent for creating characters you become emotionally invested in, and others don't. If I don't care about what happens to the characters, I'm not going to like the book. And I agree with you about cliffhangers, I'm getting really sick of them. It's almost as if they don't trust that you like the book enough to read more about those characters. Finish the freaking story!! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty forgiving myself with the writing but, sometimes it can get really bad. I'm totally with you on the characters. The characters are the story pretty much. I would be more okay with cliffhangers if it didn't mean I'd be waiting a year to get to the next book.

      Delete
  6. I couldn't agree more! I try to forgive a lot of things but some things are unforgivable!

    Stop by: PassionateBookworms

    ReplyDelete