Thursday, August 8, 2013

Quarantine by James Phelan Book Review

Quarantine by James Phelan

Genre: Young Adult, Post Apocalyptic, Zombies, Horror  
Publisher:Kensington Books
Expected Publish Date: September 24, 2013
Edition: eBook (NetGalley)


Book Blurb  (courtesy of Goodreads)

In a dangerous, devastated New York, one 16-year-old Australian boy finds himself alone…

It's now or maybe never sixteen year old Jesse has spent eighteen days in post-apocalyse New York, waiting for help that never comes. He owes it to his new friends, Rachel and Felicity, to go beyond their temporary refuge to find other survivors who may hold the key to escape. Could the collective at Chelsea Piers have the answers or prove to be just another distraction in his quest? Meanwhile, Jesse is burdened with guilt and sadness at the fate of his other friend, Caleb, who has fallen prey to the virus and become a Chaser. So when it emerges that a cure-all serum may be available, Jesse determines to secure it to save his friend. At any cost perhaps even his own future.

Review:
*NetGalley copy*
"Stay and hide. Run and fight. Either way you risk it all."

When I read that line in the synopsis, I was thinking okay I'm in for a real ride but sadly this wasn't much of a ride, it was more like coasting. I expected so much more from this book and I just didn't get it but not for lack of trying on the author's part. It's obvious this author is a great writer with great ideas but this one just didn't do it for me. It just didn't have enough action. Post apocalyptic books are supposed to be thrilling, action packed and hard to put down. This book just had traces of that. The characters were lovable enough but they were a little dull aside from the main character Jesse: who was determined, fearless, and strong; all character traits I enjoy.

I just wanted more, maybe my expectations were a little too high. Maybe. Although I will say I enjoyed the way the characters interacted. It was very realistic and easy to follow. In addition to the way the author built up the post apocalyptic world he created. It was very well done. It was like I could actually see it based off his words alone. This was a good book and for me not much more. 



4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you didn't like it more. It definitely sounds interesting, the summary sort of reminds me of I Am Legend (I've seen the movie but I haven't read the book). Sounds like the book was more focused on the characters instead of the action, which sometimes works. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I needed a lot more action for this kind of book. Then again they can't all be good right?! oh well.

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I hate when you expect to be thrilled and are disappointed! I'm glad you liked the characters, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so disappointing! Maybe the others in the series are better.

      Delete