Friday, August 23, 2013

My (character) Interview with Braiden, of Torn True Love by K.D. Ferguson


I recently had the opportunity to interview Braiden, of Torn True Love. I recently read the book about a month or so back and I found that there was a lot I didn't know about Braiden, and about his actions in the book in general. So I went ahead and got some answers out of him ;)



Braiden: "Thanks for interviewing me. It's not often, people understand me or where I come from so I hope this helps."

Me: Braiden what do you have against the 'Headquarters'? Why are you so against pairing?
Photo Courtesy of Google

Braiden: I grew up in a home where pairing was a constant problem. I saw how it tore my parents apart, and I never wanted that for myself. And it's not that I have anything "against" the headquarters, it's just that I don't share the same opinions as they do. And while I understand that everyone will not always see eye to eye, I don't like being forced into something I don't agree with. The "our way or the highway" doesn't sit well with me.

Me: Despite being so obviously against pairing, why did you go ahead and decide to date Krissa?

Braiden:A few reasons. 1. I really did like Krissa. In the beginning it felt natural with her, it was the unfortunate circumstances we faced that made it forced and unnatural. 2. I don't want to be rebellious, that isn't my intention, but I want to do what feels right. But what I feel is right and what our government felt was right didn't align. I'd hoped maybe there was a chance I could conform, but it felt so foreign. 3. I felt the pressure from my parents and peers around me. Because I felt such a connection with her I decided to give it a go. But that life wasn't for me.


Me: How do you feel about love? Do you love Krissa?  

Braiden: I've never had a perfect example of love so it's hard to answer that. My dad left who supposedly loved me. He fought my mom and they were suppose to love one another. The definition of love is "a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person" which I absolutely have for her it's the commitment end of it that is difficult for me. A pledge/promise and the obligation is what I have a problem with.

Photo courtesy of Google
  Me: Why after all you've been through with Krissa did you decide to leave, abandoning her, leaving to chance that she may become a sweeper?

Braiden: I know this will sound selfish, but I had to figure myself out. I'm so young and our government expects us to make decisions that affect the REST of our lives. I wasn't ready to make that decision. I was doing my best for everyone at that time. A part of me hoped that she would find someone else and live out the fairytale ending that she wanted so badly. I knew I couldn't be what she wanted.

Me: What do people not understand about you? What do you want people to know?

Braiden: I know that I am not perfect, and that I've hurt people while I've tried to figure my shit out. My life is much more complicated than it seems and I hope that as our story unfolds people will view me in a different light. Just because I don't believe in pairing doesn't mean I don't believe in a future.

If you would like to check out more on the book head on over to GOODREADS.

Blurb for the book

Everyone has a choice. Abide by the government’s rules and regulations and you may live the average life. Or you can become a Sweeper. Krissa Channing’s destination was clear until Braiden entered her life and clouded her future.

Krissa’s future, which once seemed so promising, is compromised when her relationship with Braiden is forced by the hands of the government. The pressure of an automatic pairing pushes them both down a path they never dreamed they’d travel.

While Krissa accepts the change, Braiden revolts against the government leaving Krissa alone, her heart torn. Should she follow the rules and regulations and continue down the road mapped out for her? Or should she go against everything she’s been taught and follow after her true love?