Saturday, August 31, 2013

Countdown by Michelle Rowen Book Review

Countdown by Michelle Rowen
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia, Science Fiction   

Expected Publish Date: September 24th, 2013

Goodreads Blurb:

3 seconds left to live. Once the countdown starts, it cannot be stopped. 

2 pawns thrown into a brutal underground reality game. 

Kira Jordan survived her family's murder and months on plague-devastated city streets with hard-won savvy and a low-level psi ability. She figures she can handle anything. Until she wakes up in a barren room, chained next to the notorious Rogan Ellis. 

1 reason Kira will never, ever trust Rogan. Even though both their lives depend on it. 

Their every move is controlled and televised for a vicious exclusive audience. And as Kira's psi skill unexpectedly grows and Rogan's secrets prove evermore deadly, Kira's only chance of survival is to risk trusting him as much as her instincts. Even if that means running head-on into the one trap she can't escape. 

GAME 0VER


Review:

*NetGalley eARC*

"He stared across the room at me, his gaze panicked. When it gets to zero, we die. Do you understand? If you don't throw me that key, in less than fifty seconds we're both going to die."

 A thief, and a murderer, an unlikely combination, one an orphan the other abandoned. Thrust into a game that is more than a battle of wits, Kira and Rogan are forced to to fight for their lives.

Reminiscent of "The Hunger Games,"(Please do not misunderstand this is reminiscent of The Hunger Games, it is NOT The Hunger Games.) Countdown is a televised game played in a series of levels, one more grueling than the next. As each level is played, the players have until the countdown kicks in to complete each task or face death.

With no idea how they got there, Kira and Rogan wake up in a dark room, bound together by computer chips that don't allow them to separate more than ninety feet from one another. .
Putting aside their differences, they work together in attempts to defeat a game they never agreed to played. As the levels become more deadly, they learn more about each other than they initially cared to share. Throw in a sadistic father, intrigue, romance, and murder and you will never feel the same about a series of countdowns again.

I adored this story. Everything about it was perfect, the writing, the character build up, the plot and the characters themselves. I loved every aspect of it.

Every character's profile was well thought out and well fitting. Every part played out well in the development of the story. Every level of the game was more exciting than the next. I felt a little like President Snow because I enjoyed watching them fight for their lives far too much. It's a little sadistic. *evil laugh* (LOL)

The plot just got better and better because it unveiled more layers as the story went on. It kept the story interesting. There was never a dull moment.

You will fall in love with the characters. Both are strong, and independent of each other still interesting. I could go on and on about what I liked about this book, but I'd much rather you'd read it.

This book is perfect for dystopian fans. I highly recommend it.


7 comments:

  1. Sounds very good! Waking up chained next to someone notorious is a line that really caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read! Thanks for sharing :) If I wasn't so overwhelmed with my book pile right now I would go request it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I have way more than I can really handle.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the book so much. I'll definitely be reading this one. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen this book on quite a few lists lately. Glad that it was a good read, will need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This seems like a great book, I may have to read it!
    Thanks for the comment and follow, I followed back :)
    http://being-brittish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete