Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Phoenix Rising: Destiny Calls by Phenice Arielle Book Review

The Phoenix Rising: Destiny Calls by Phenice Arielle 

“He smiled at me in a way that sent a chill throughout my body, and the tears in my eyes down the sides of my cheeks. That was the last thing I remembered before everything went black. That was the last thing I remembered before I realized I’d never see Beth, my mom, my dad, or even Callum, ever, ever again.” (Synopsis from the back of the book)




5 out of 5 stars
 
Okay before I write this review I just want to say how freaking A-MAZING this book was. I am literally overcome with how good this book was. I am in awe of this writer. I can only wish to write a book that was as good as this was, and now that I've gotten that rant off my chest, here is my review:

*COPY PROVIDED BY AUTHOR FOR HONEST REVIEW*


“Nanyamka Apiyo Morowa” or ‘Kay’ for short is your typical everyday college student that is aside from her nightly terrors that plague her with their visions of the jungle, lions attacking her, and a woman wielding an ivory white dagger. Practically every night she is tortured by these dreams with no means of escape.

Kay is a journalism major, working the school’s newspaper alongside her close friend Beth, where she meets Callum. Callum with his “beautiful almond shaped eyes, captivates, and scares Kay. She’s seen those eyes in her nightmares, so she tries to force herself to forget him. That is until she bumps into months later and their romance quickly blossoms, but those night terrors began featuring him dying on their wedding night and she knows she has to end their relationship, no matter how difficult it may be. 

Her acceptance into the junior year media apprenticeship in Cape Town, South Africa provides the perfect escape. She plans to take this dream internship, breakup with Callum, and leave her nightmares behind. It all seemed simple enough but right before she’s set to leave, she finds out she’s adopted. This won’t be her first time in Africa; she was actually born there, rescued from a fire by her now ‘mom’. This destroys her, and she flees her home, too upset, and feeling betrayed by the family she thought she had, the family she thought she could trust.

Upon boarding her plane to Africa, she is surprisingly met by her friend Beth, and her Professor, Professor Liu. Turns out, they are going to Cape Town too. This excites Kay; at least she will have a friend. When they land they are met by two men, who know their professor, but in what capacity they do not know.  Kay is apprehensive of these men but goes with the flow. Once outside, she sees a lion, sleeping inside a cargo truck. She is intrigued, and insists on getting a closer look to take pictures for a story she plans on doing upon her return to school. She moves to take closer pictures, despite her friends protest right when there is an explosion. The explosion sends her flying into the air and knocks her out but, not before she sees one of the men approach her, kidnapping her. These men give her over to a poaching camp, where she meets Tuki, and where her life changes forever.

This book is beautifully written, descriptive, and captivating. The backdrop for this story is painted in such a way that you feel as if you are there. The author paints a picture of Africa comparable to one captured by camera. It’s as if you are really seeing it, firsthand.  The romance is effortless. It was heartbreaking, heart pounding, action packed, heartfelt, and moving. The camaraderie between the characters was particularly warming. There is strength in this story. There aren't many stories like this out there, that's what makes it so special.

The characters themselves are ones that I wont quickly forget. Page 355, my heart beats faster thinking about it. {I won’t give any spoilers, you just have to read it yourself and see ;)} I am in a stupor, I don't know how to continue going on after finishing a book like this. I was so happy to see this setting, to see an african american heroine, to have read this story, to have known this story. This is the kind of book that stays with you long after you've read it. It's the kind you read repeatedly just to make sure you never forget it. I am totally honored to have read and reviewed this. NOW GIVE ME MY PART TWO :) HIGHLY Recommended!!!

My favorite quote:

“I would tell her that it’s not just me who’s in love with her, it’s all the stars in the sky that light up at night just to see her face. Her beautiful face.”

No comments:

Post a Comment