Monday, June 24, 2013

Losing it (Losing it, #1) by Cora Carmack Book Review

Losing it by Cora Carmack Book Review

Rating

★ 
4 out of 5 stars

The story of losing it...and gaining it. Bliss is a socially awkward twenty something year old college student, with dreams of theatre. She's a drama student with a life lacking in drama. She's about to graduate college and she's still a virgin, and she no longer wants to be. Her best friend Kelsey is a walking talking sassy, barbie, and also far more experienced in the areas of sex, and is set on helping her friend lose her dreaded V-card. So they set off to the bar, Bliss is determined to turn off her mind and turn on her charm. She's going to have a one night stand, lose her V-card and finally be apart of the crowd. 

They head to the bar, and Bliss is having no luck. He's too fat, too old, too something. She's losing her confidence and her will and the night barely started. She heads to the bathroom to give herself a pep talk of sorts but is distracted by a guy reading Shakespeare, and in a bar at that. She smarts with him and when he drops the book to get a better look at her, there goes her heart. He's breathtakingly gorgeous. Blond hair, ocean blue eyes, and his smile befuddles her. He answers her, and he has a british accent, she's a goner. (And so was I for that matter I just love an english accent) She is immediately taken by him and decides he's the one. She will lose her V-card, easily, and walk away no longer a virgin. They decide to leave together, they head back to her place and she loses all her nerve, even though his kisses and touches have set her on fire, she just can't do it.

She backs out of it, lying about having to go get her "cat" which she doesn't have, but she had to think of something. He leaves, and she kicks herself about it literally, but thankfully she doesn't have to see him again and can try again with someone else. She thought she could go back to class that Monday and move on, turns out she can't. She has a new teacher and low and behold it's him. Garrick, her failed one-night stand. How was she going to get through this??

This book was so cute. It was amusing, and awkwardly romantic. When Bliss met Garrick, I swooned. Reading in the club, great smile, british accent. I'm thinking HELLO! I love him. He sounded like a dream. Then when she took him home I thought, okay this isn't going to end well. I also couldn't stop myself from thinking just how desperate is she, that she would take home this stranger, no matter how amazingly hot he sounds. When it didn't go as planned I was relieved. She couldn't lose her virginity like that. 

When she got back to class, and they were forced to see each other on a weekly basis, and eventually more often than that,  I giggled shamelessly. Their exchanges left me grinning, and wanting. Their chemistry was undeniable, and the instances when they were alone were so charged, the sparks leapt up off the page.  I enjoyed this book immensely especially after having read such disappointing, cliche, romance books. 

It's a great book, cleverly written and set with a nice pace. The writer speaks as if from experience, making it very believable. The ending was just perfect and well suited to the story. Loved the way she switched the story at the end to Garrick's POV)  I can't wait to see what happens with Garrick and Bliss next.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

“An accent. HE HAS A BRITISH ACCENT. Dear God, I'm dying.” (My sentiments exactly)

“Stop! Cats! Stop…” ( I almost peed myself with laughter when she said this, how awkward)

“I had no one, but Hamlet. Who hated me with the fire of a thousand suns.” (that darn cat)

“Then, slowly, like the sunrise peeking over the horizon, she smiled.
She snapped the box closed.
She didn’t scream. She didn’t run. She didn’t faint.
There might have been a little crying.
But mostly… she danced.” 
(Loved this ending)

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book too! I can't wait to read more about them.

    New GFC follower.

    El @ So Bookalicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's awesome thanks for your comment and following! :)

    ReplyDelete