Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Existence (Existence Trilogy, #1) by Abbi Glines Book Review

Existence by Abbi Glines Book Review

Rating


5 out of 5 stars

Synopsis from goodreads.com

What happens when you're stalked by Death? You fall in love with him, of course.

Pagan Moore doesn't cheat Death, but instead, falls in love with him.

Seventeen year old Pagan Moore has seen souls her entire life. Once she realized the strangers she often saw walking through walls were not visible to anyone else, she started ignoring them. If she didn't let them know she could see them, then they left her alone. Until she stepped out of her car the first day of school and saw an incredibly sexy guy lounging on a picnic table, watching her with an amused smirk on his face. Problem is, she knows he's dead.

Not only does he not go away when she ignores him, but he does something none of the others have ever done. He speaks. Pagan is fascinated by the soul. What she doesn't realize is that her appointed time to die is drawing near and the wickedly beautiful soul she is falling in love with is not a soul at all.

He is Death and he's about to break all the rules.


I would be the first one to tell you I am not the slightest bit impressed by Abbi Glines's books, or writing style. I read two of hers and I was like, "hurry quick stab me in the eyes. Make it go away." That's how strongly I felt but I really loved this one and I'm not ashamed to say it. I breathed a heavy sigh of relief when I found out how much I really liked this book. It's amazing. But, Dank though, he's death, and I love him. No soul, and all. Let me break it down first.

Pagan Moore is a normal high school student, except she can see souls. She's been seeing them her entire life, wondering, and following her. She usually just ignores them and eventually they go away, but not this soul. He not only follows her but, now he's speaking to her, and needless to say she's freaked out!


He's speaking to her, and following her around, and get this he's hot, like H-O-T, hot, but she doesn't care right. He's just a soul. She will ignore him and he will go away, right? So she thought. He not only doesn't go away, he shows up at her school as Dank Walker, rock star, and member of the group Cold Soul, and now she's sure she's losing it but, some part of her can't help the longing she feels, especially not when he smiles that crooked grin and shows his dimple. 


She desperately tries to fight against her attraction to him, despite his constant presence, she evens gets a boyfriend, Leif Montgomery. He's caring, and he's attractive. She thinks that she will be able to use him to ignore this soul she both wants to keep and get rid of, but Dank ways too heavily on her mind, and the need to be close to him becomes more than she can bear. They both fight their desire but test it all the time. He can't be with her and she just doesn't get why but, she's not giving in that easily.


Let me tell you why I loved this one, Dank. Dank is hotness personified, dark hair, gorgeous eyes, and that dimple...*SWOON*


Aside from him the supporting characters are quite appropriate and lovable. Miranda Wauters, and Wyatt, both funny, and disgustingly into each other. 

The budding romance between Dank and Pagan seemed far more natural and naturally paced than any of the other books I read by this author. Their love was intense but it was real, or at least it felt real. 

I loved the way Pagan and Dank interacted. Their chemistry was on the nose, and far from cliche, which I believe Glines is best known for. (Sorry it's true) She pulled this one off in a way she hasn't done for me previously. I'm literally beside myself with glee to get to the next book, especially after a cliffhanger like the one that's at the end of this book.


Highly recommended, just landed itself a spot on my favorites shelf.


My favorite quote:


"When I can't control my need for you and allow myself to touch you it ignites a monster inside of me that I'm afraid I'll lose control over. You make me feel things I've never felt before. Something happens," he paused and lowered his gaze from my eyes to my lips, when I'm near you like this."



No comments:

Post a Comment